X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Mac Burn-In?

My G5 shipped today! Should arrive sometime next week.

With that in mind, do any of you do any kind of at-home "burn-in" process to test your machine? I've heard of some folks using Seti@Home or Folding@Home to do this...but I'm not sure what other things might be beneficial for getting a new machine in tip-top form...

Running the Apple Hardware Test software to check out the components to make sure they're good is probably not a bad idea. Otherwise, just fire it up and go.

Comment

Originally posted by Save The Pine Weasel
      Running the Apple Hardware Test software to check out the components to make sure they're good is probably not a bad idea. Otherwise, just fire it up and go.

I agree, make sure you choose the Extended test option not the quick one.

Beyond that, I always like to reinstall the OS to get it more spefic to my needs. For example, I do not install the localizations, extra print drivers, fonts I will never use, classic, and quite a few other things. I do however install Xcode and X11.
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://android.cc" target="_blank">android</a></div>

Comment

Originally posted by lipids

Beyond that, I always like to reinstall the OS to get it more spefic to my needs.

agreed. i think another thing to do before you have projects on a computer is make a test song that pushes RAM, disk streaming, interface capabilities, and cpu to the limit.
        <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="0"><br />
        Heritage H535 Classic, Ibanez AF105N, ASAT Classic, MIM Telecaster<br />
        Yamaha G100-115 -w- Weber alnico Chicago 15<br />
        Valvetrain Tweed Champ -w- Weber 12A125<br />
        Barber Direct Drive, Keeley Java Boost, Boss digi Delay<br />
        Logic 6 on an old Powermac <br />
        Battery, Pro-52, ES1, EXSP24, EVD6, Crystal, Pluggo<br />
        Tannoy Reveals, AT3035, Prosonus pre<br />
        </font></div>

Comment

From what I've read, the new Logic 7 demo song should be a good test for that...Should I just "loop" the entire song for awhile to put it through its paces?

Re: Reinstalling the OS - I had thought about doing this as well. But for some reason I am a bit gunshy - is there anything about the way they configure the G5 from the factory that I might screw up as a result of an OS reinstall? Any special software updates, firmware updates, system settings or preferences...etc?

The only other drawback is that I'd also have to reinstall all the software apps that come with it - though I likely will not be using all of them, so it might be nice to keep them off the machine anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by 3DMC
            Re: Reinstalling the OS - I had thought about doing this as well. But for some reason I am a bit gunshy - is there anything about the way they configure the G5 from the factory that I might screw up as a result of an OS reinstall? Any special software updates, firmware updates, system settings or preferences...etc?

I've had to deal with two new Mac's in the past four years and have on both occasions reinstalled the system myself. The iMac didn't work properly at all.. it crashed all the time but worked perfectly after a reinstall..

Take a while but it's kind of personalises the computer. Probably no real need if it works okay..

The way I understand it is, the firmware wont be affected by a reinstall at all..
            <div class="signaturecontainer">"(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P</div>

Comment

Working...
            X