Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

cleaning up my powerbook...what program?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning up my powerbook...what program?

I've never run any sort of defrag program or any progam like that. My 60gigs are almost all used up and I think there's probably a lot of crap I don't need on it. I've also noticed a slow down in performance. My friend's older powerbook which has less ram and processing power runs smoother using the same program and project. So there's something up. How do I clean this baby up?
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.dublum.ca" target="_blank">www.dublum.ca</a></div>

Step One - Housecleaning. Go through and delete programs and documents that you know you don't need - manually.

Step Two - Run FileBuddy to get rid of any orphaned preference files. Be careful - make sure you only delete prefs for apps you're not using.

Step Three - Repair disk permissions.

Step Four - Run MacJanitor

Step Five - head to www.osxhints.com for further tips and tricks!

Defragmenting isn't really necessary under OS X. The OS runs optimization routines anytime a system update is installed, and beyond that basic housecleaning should keep you running happily.

Comment

Originally posted by Jebus0000
      My 60gigs are almost all used up...

If you're using OS X, you're probably running into virtual memory issues. Does the disk thrash a lot when you're running a bunch of programs?

In addition to what 3DMC said, I'd get a copy of DiskWarrior, both for preventive maintenance (every month or so) and for disaster recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by Qengho

If you're using OS X, you're probably running into virtual memory issues. Does the disk thrash a lot when you're running a bunch of programs?

In addition to what 3DMC said, I'd get a copy of DiskWarrior, both for preventive maintenance (every month or so) and for disaster recovery.

DiskWarrior is a good buy. I still use 2.1 for optimising all my drives. I in fact did it today on my AV drive although it took around three hours..

OSX does apparently manage itself. I remember looking at my OSX partition just after my first OSX install with Norton and it suggested it was 'severely fragmented'. Good for the AV drives though...!

How much HD space do you have left??
        <div class="signaturecontainer">"(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P</div>

Comment

2.6 gigs.

Thanks guys...I'll try those tips. Disk warrior eh? do you have to connect to another computer for that one...I seem to remember something about that.
          <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.dublum.ca" target="_blank">www.dublum.ca</a></div>

Comment

Disk warrior eh? do you have to connect to another computer for that one

No, just boot from the DW CD. And 2.6 GB is WAY too tight. Rule of thumb is leave at least 10% of your disk space free (on the boot disk).

Comment

Originally posted by 3DMC
              Step One - Housecleaning. Go through and delete programs and documents that you know you don't need - manually.

Step Two - Run FileBuddy to get rid of any orphaned preference files. Be careful - make sure you only delete prefs for apps you're not using.

Step Three - Repair disk permissions.

Step Four - Run MacJanitor

Step Five - head to www.osxhints.com for further tips and tricks!

Defragmenting isn't really necessary under OS X. The OS runs optimization routines anytime a system update is installed, and beyond that basic housecleaning should keep you running happily.

Wow, I did step 1 and now I have 16gigs.

Are filebuddy and Macjanitor programs I can download for free?

Comment

FileBuddy is a free trial and MacJanitor is still free/donation ware I think.

I just read about another app recently called Onyx - might check that out.

Only reason I dont have DW myself is that I don't want to pay for it. I have reliable backups of all my data on external drives, and my regular maintenance hasn't failed me yet. I probably should get DW sometime...but come on! I need Logic Pro 7!!!

Comment

FileBuddy is a free trial and MacJanitor is still free/donation ware I think.

I just read about another app recently called Onyx - might check that out.

You can get Onyx here, highly recommended.
                  http://www.titanium.free.fr/english.html
                  <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><font size="2"><br />
                  </font></font><font size="2"><br />
                  </font></div>

Comment

ok I kind of ****************ed myself. I think I deleted something I wasn't spposed to. After a reboot my computer couldn't find the system...it just gave me an icon that was a folder with the mac smily face and a ? ...so on the advice of a friend I insterted the system disk that came with my computer and reinstalled osx. Now it's asking for a password and my password doesn't work. is there somesort of default password? what the hell did I do?

Comment

If you boot again from the install disc you can enable the "root" account and change passwords or create new user accounts if needed. Be VERY careful with 'root' though as it can be VERY destructive if you don't know what you're doing.

Comment

If you boot again from the install disc you can enable the "root" account and change passwords or create new user accounts if needed. Be VERY careful with 'root' though as it can be VERY destructive if you don't know what you're doing.
                        yeah I did that...I changed the password for my user accoutn but when I try to login I get sent to this weird "console" area...just a blank black screen with some writing at the top and the "login:"

I can get access to other user accounts but not the admin.

Comment

yeah I did that...I changed the password for my user accoutn but when I try to login I get sent to this weird "console" area...just a blank black screen with some writing at the top and the "login:"

I can get access to other user accounts but not the admin.

I think you can type EXIT in there or BOOT or... Er.. I was there once myself.. Can't remember exactly..
                          <div class="signaturecontainer">"(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P</div>

Comment

Wow, you really got excited, huh? !6GB of free space, but looks like some of those files were needed. Well, here is a suggestion.
                            1. Boot from OS X Install CD.
                            2. Choose "Archive and Install" as the method.
                            3. You will be prompted to preserve users and network settings. Choose yes.
                            4. That should replace your system folde and get you back where you ened to be.

In the future, DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING THAT IS NOT IN YOUR HOME FOLDER. Just to be especially careful, do not delete anthing in your ~/Home/Library directory either.

If you do not know what you are doing do go mucking around in the system folder unless you feel like reinstalling the OS.
                            <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://android.cc" target="_blank">android</a></div>

Comment

Working...
                            X