Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking About Upgrading, How Much $ Is My Current Powerbook Worth?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking About Upgrading, How Much $ Is My Current Powerbook Worth?

ok, so i love my little baby but its just too slow for recording.

here are the specs:

(Powerbook G4)

-12''
    -867 mhz G4
    -640 mb RAM
    -60 Gig HD
    -32 mb on board graphics
    -Super Drive
    -Airport Extreme Card
    -Brenthaven vynal case

so how much $ do you think?

im probibly going to add to the money I get for it and than buy a tower or new imac.

is it true that the 1.8 tower is much faster than the 1.8 imac because of the 800 vs 500 system bus?

how much faster is dual 1.8 over single?

so how much could i get for it?

What the market will bear in terms of $$$ for your Powerbook really depends on how/when/where you sell it. Usually you'll get a bit more money if you can sell it locally or through online classified ads. Somewhat less if you sell it on E-bay. But E-Bay is a good reference point for what you can generally expect to get for it...

For the new machine, I would recommend either a single or a dual 1.8Ghz if you can swing it. The iMac is nice, but if you are serious about your music, and don't want to have to replace the whole machine in a few years (i.e. no upgrades for the iMac) then a tower is the only way to go. From that point, upgrades are easy - RAM, processor, HD, PCI DSP cards, etc.

Comment

What are you running that your current PowerBook won't support? I ask, because I have a similar PowerBook (667 MHz) and am planning on getting an Mbox, 002, MOTU, etc. Will I be underpowered?

Comment

Originally posted by nigel1228
        What are you running that your current PowerBook won't support? I ask, because I have a similar PowerBook (667 MHz) and am planning on getting an Mbox, 002, MOTU, etc. Will I be underpowered?

I was doing a garage band recording. there were four tracks, only one recorded at a time. Only one track was actually a loop so having 3 "live" tracks puts a load on it. It took forever to boot up (blame the slow laptop HD and 6 gigs of jam pack loops to load). once it was running it was skippy and slow with huge monitor delay. than I guess it couldnt take anymore, so it froze.

if youre going to fork over the money for an mbox or 002, id get somthing better. best tower that your budget can fit.

so back to mine, if I sell locally and be paitent, what kind of money do you think I could get?

Comment

i think the first problem is that you're using garage band... not that it's a bad program, it's just a huge cpu hog.
          on an 867 powerbook, if you had a FW hard drive and maxed out the ram, and had logic or digital performer, you would be pretty well set.
          you probably won't get what you want for an 867 powerbook on ebay, so you might as well keep it for the portability factor. try out mackie traction, it's free right now and probably not as mean on your system as GB.
          THIS IS MY LAST DAY ON OJ BITCHES!

Comment

You can't use the internal drive if you're planning to record.

You need to get an external firewire drive.

If you do that, your laptop shouuld be fine for recording.
            Rocking fat donkey lips, always.

Comment

a friend of mine has a 867mhz powerbook and uses an external fw drive with a 002rack and he can record plenty of tracks at a time. the problem is plug-ins. he can't get very many and ends up audiosuiting everything (rendering it). I have a dual 1.25ghz G4 tower and i can get 3-4 times as many plug-ins as him. I would HIGHLY recommend getting a dual processor if you're gonna get an mbox or other digi stuff. I'm not sure if all the programs out there utilize the second processor, if you're gonna get one that doesn't then obviously the dual wouldn't be of any benefit. Make sure you know what programs and harware you're going to use before you buy a new computer and read all the damn specs and requirements and visit specific forums for all the products. Then you'll at least have a good representation of what you will get out of your system and be able to avoid any potential mishaps of incompatibility.
              "When I say be skeptical of everything I mean it. Just because someone was elected to do a job doesn't mean that person has any idea of what they're doing."- Sen. Bob Kerry

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." --Hunter S. Thompson

"Never rock the mic with the pantyhose"-MCA

Comment

Originally posted by HighKing
                You can't use the internal drive if you're planning to record.

Nope, but you can upgrade to a 7200RPM internal drive that you can use.
                [Z?]
                http://soundcloud.com/mus0r

Comment

In answer to your first question, about $800.
                  android

Comment

Originally posted by GloomGenerator

Nope, but you can upgrade to a 7200RPM internal drive that you can use.

That wouldn't really help.

The problem is more that the audio recording program is running on the same drive you plan on writing the data to.

You need to keep them separate.

One drive should house the audio program and another drive should be used for data writing.

Never have them on the same drive...regardless of whether it is 7200RPM or 10000RPM.
                    Rocking fat donkey lips, always.

Comment

Originally posted by HighKing
                      Never have them on the same drive...regardless of whether it is 7200RPM or 10000RPM.

Beggers can't be choosers.
                      [Z?]
                      http://soundcloud.com/mus0r

Comment

Working...
                      X