Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for 24/96?

So I was thinking tonight, with my incoming G5 and Logic Pro 7, and an interface that finally supports it...is it time for me to move to 24/96 recording? I've done mostly 16/44 or 24/44 recording up to this point...but this new machine will surely be able to support higher resolutions/bit rates without much of a problem. And I've got quite a bit of external HD space for it - I think 24/96 takes up about 4x as much space as 16/44 right?

So when do YOU decide to use 16/44 over 24/96 or vice versa?

I have a Pro Tools|HD 2 system, and I still record at 44.1/24. So I guess the answer for me would be....never?

Comment

Originally posted by Zooey
      I have a Pro Tools|HD 2 system, and I still record at 44.1/24. So I guess the answer for me would be....never?
      Replace the 2 with a 3 and that'd be my exact answer.

Comment

I cant see using 2X as much disk space as I presently do.

It's not like it's a huge sonic improvement or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 3DMC
          So I was thinking tonight, with my incoming G5 and Logic Pro 7, and an interface that finally supports it...is it time for me to move to 24/96 recording? I've done mostly 16/44 or 24/44 recording up to this point...but this new machine will surely be able to support higher resolutions/bit rates without much of a problem. And I've got quite a bit of external HD space for it - I think 24/96 takes up about 4x as much space as 16/44 right?

Personally, I think 44.1/24 is for me right now. I suspect if I knew I was recording a three track production I would go with 96 or 192 for a laugh. Other than that, I have better things to worry about than 96 and 192..

Worth an experiment or two though...
          "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

Good points, all. I'll check it out once I've got the equipment all set up. Some side-by-side comparison and scrutinizing is in order, but I think you're right - I'll likely not be able to hear much of a difference between 24/44 and 24/96 - but it is worth the trouble to A/B them...

Comment

I record at 48/24

That seems to give me the best balance between d dynamic range and file size.

Also, a good converter is everything. 44.1/16bit Apogee will sound better than most prosumer 96/24...

now 192khz, that's where its at
              Waldorf Q, RS7000, A4000, PCR-300

Comment

Honestly, I think it depends on what genre music you are attempting to record. Some thing do indeed benefit from 96, others, not so much.

Hard drives are cheap and big these days, so that doesn't concern me much.

I'd say do the comparison and find out if it makes that much of a difference for you. Other things to consider are whether you're going to have to downsample -- that takes time and depending on length of your material, could be an added pain in the ass.

... tacket

Comment

Lama!? Damn - haven't seen you around in a LONG time. Hope you'll be stopping by more often. I suspect for most of my work, 24/44 or 24/48 will suffice. If and when I start recording more subtle instruments, I think the benefits of 24/96 may come into play. As it is, though, most of what I'll be doing is softsynths and samplers, so I suspect I'll see little real benefit in 96k.

Comment

I think the benefits of 24/96 may come into play. As it is, though, most of what I'll be doing is softsynths and samplers, so I suspect I'll see little real benefit in 96k.

That's what I am thinking. I will know for sure (and do some tests) when I get the Fireface in the new year..

Lama. Good to hear from you dude. Seems like a long time.. How's tings?

Rimmer
                    "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

I was worried about the same thing for a while... until I got my UAD-1 card.

Realized sample rates were a very very small peice of the puzzle.

I could take her to 96khz now, but that would put a bigger load on my processor for effects, and although I use them sparingly, I use a lot of stuff. It would mean less UAD-effects, too.. which have become the focal point of my mixing process.

Saving the 192khz race for when I get the dual 2.5 water-cooled G5 and an RME card.

or some Apogee converters too.

And some UA preamps.

And Mogami cables everywhere.

And A BLUE Bottle.

someday. A man can dream........
                      G5 Dual 1.8, Logic 7, Metric Halo 2882, Mackie Control, Tannoy Reveals, UAD-1.

Comment

As it is, though, most of what I'll be doing is softsynths and samplers, so I suspect I'll see little real benefit in 96k.

Makes sense.

Also, cheers to Tacket! What's new?

Comment

Not a whole lot! Thanks for the warm welcome back.

Since my last visits I've moved to Seattle, WA, started playing a bunch of music, unfortunately, we tore down the studio in Michigan and haven't really gotten anything back up aside from our own personal studios. But that's OK -- I've been recording over at Robert Lang Studios (www.robertlangstudios.com) and that's been a blast (walking around a place that has so many gold and platinum albums from Seattle rock history is pretty inspiring).

By the end of January I should appear on 5 independent records which is terribly exciting in good and bad ways!

I'm going to be on tour here shortly in Chicago and the West Coast, if anyone's in those two areas look me up!

Also, here are the most recent projects I'm involved in -- although the middle one was with another drummer, not I, at the time of the recording.

www.rememberfull.com
                          www.jerelmusic.com
                          www.cccp.mu (although I think this one is down for the moment)

... tacket

Comment

Originally posted by Lama
                            Not a whole lot! Thanks for the warm welcome back.

Since my last visits I've moved to Seattle, WA, started playing a bunch of music, unfortunately, we tore down the studio in Michigan and haven't really gotten anything back up aside from our own personal studios. But that's OK -- I've been recording over at Robert Lang Studios (www.robertlangstudios.com) and that's been a blast (walking around a place that has so many gold and platinum albums from Seattle rock history is pretty inspiring).

By the end of January I should appear on 5 independent records which is terribly exciting in good and bad ways!

I'm going to be on tour here shortly in Chicago and the West Coast, if anyone's in those two areas look me up!

Also, here are the most recent projects I'm involved in -- although the middle one was with another drummer, not I, at the time of the recording.

www.rememberfull.com
                            www.jerelmusic.com
                            www.cccp.mu (although I think this one is down for the moment)

... tacket

wHOLLY SCHNIZZIT!!! Great seein' ya 'round again Lama. I'll try to get in-touch again bro.

Comment

I record at 24/44.1. The difference in going up 2.18x sample rate is marginal, but the difference in being able to run 2.18x simultaneous plugins is way more important to me.

Forever,

Kim.
                              The Composition Thread is sticky!
                              There is no heavier burden than a great potential.- Unknown source

Comment

Working...
                              X