No announcement yet.

What date for faster G5 desktops??

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What date for faster G5 desktops??

I am seriously thinking of buying another computer. I will keep my G4 but I wont something for home that I can play with until I feel the need to swap it with the studio G4...

The Dual 1.8 desktop seems like my first choice but I am still smitten by some of the laptops...

Any ideas when they will bump the speeds? February I suppose ?!?
    "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Ahh...the eternal question - to wait or not to wait.

Indeed - the dual 1.8Ghz is the sweet spot right now. And performance-wise it cannot be compared to the Powerbooks or iBooks - it eats them for breakfast.

Though I love my Powerbook - and it has served me well - I just didn't use it often enough as a "portable" piece to justify the extra cost. For the price I paid for the Powerbook 3 years ago, I now will have a Dual 1.8Ghz G5 with a 19" LCD monitor and a ton of extras.

BUT - if you are going to go for a laptop, I'd go with an iBook personally. They are still the better buy in my mind. Given the quality of USB and firewire controllers/interfaces out now, the iBooks are a great value for laptops. Then you could save for a potentially speed-bumped G5.

But remember - there will always be a bigger/faster Mac in the pipeline. It could even be a few weeks away, and I'd have just missed it. But with all computers and similar toys, you really just have to jump in and get your feet wet. There is always potential to be burned by the market, so just get what you can afford that meets your needs now, and resolve yourself not to regret it and to get the most from it. I fully expect this new G5 to last me easily as long as my Powerbook has (3 good years) if not more - due to the fact that I can upgrade it with more RAM, PCI or firewire DSP cards, and/or processor upgrades in the future. I'm really looking forward to it - best wishes with your decision.

Comment

Originally posted by 3DMC
      Ahh...the eternal question - to wait or not to wait.

Indeed - the dual 1.8Ghz is the sweet spot right now. And performance-wise it cannot be compared to the Powerbooks or iBooks - it eats them for breakfast.

Though I love my Powerbook - and it has served me well - I just didn't use it often enough as a "portable" piece to justify the extra cost. For the price I paid for the Powerbook 3 years ago, I now will have a Dual 1.8Ghz G5 with a 19" LCD monitor and a ton of extras.

BUT - if you are going to go for a laptop, I'd go with an iBook personally. They are still the better buy in my mind. Given the quality of USB and firewire controllers/interfaces out now, the iBooks are a great value for laptops. Then you could save for a potentially speed-bumped G5.

But remember - there will always be a bigger/faster Mac in the pipeline. It could even be a few weeks away, and I'd have just missed it. But with all computers and similar toys, you really just have to jump in and get your feet wet. There is always potential to be burned by the market, so just get what you can afford that meets your needs now, and resolve yourself not to regret it and to get the most from it. I fully expect this new G5 to last me easily as long as my Powerbook has (3 good years) if not more - due to the fact that I can upgrade it with more RAM, PCI or firewire DSP cards, and/or processor upgrades in the future. I'm really looking forward to it - best wishes with your decision.

Thanks for the comments 3DMC..

I suppose if it was the PC Windows world, I would dive in feet first but I know this bi-yearly announcement thing Apple has going on is coming up in a month or two.

Still routing for funds as well. I need something now really as come sunday, I wont have a computer at home at all..

I get your comment on the iBooks as well. I was thinking about both but my bank manager hates me enough as it is..!
      "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

'Nother mac worrld coming up in january I think?
        Visit my site ModGuitar.com

"While my plywood guitar, gently weeps."

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty Coogna!
          'Nother mac worrld coming up in january I think?

Good..

I might have to get something before then I suppose.. Maybe i'll check in with Mac Rumours for an educated guess...

Comment

Steve Jobs promised 18 months ago that we'd have 3 Ghz by June 2004.

IBM is running into problems cranking the speed up on those G5 chips. I understand the other guys are having some problems, too.

I dont think the traditional January speed bump is a done deal this time 'round.

Comment

yes, I don't think you'll see g5 speedbumps 'til late spring/early summer.

Nows a good time to buy, IMO. The single 1.8 and dual 2.5 are the best price/performance.

powerbook g5s may eventually appear if you want portable, but I don't think by january.

Comment

You have to remeber that Macworld is a time to announce new products. They are generally not released for another couple of months after that.
                android

Comment

Originally posted by multitrack mind
                  IBM is running into problems cranking the speed up on those G5 chips. I understand the other guys are having some problems, too.

Invariably, Apple could conceivably get in a similar quagmire to the one with Motorola - that is, having to use a chip that doesn't exactly suit their needs. With IBM exiting the PC market, their vision for the 970 line may be to stick bunches of them in clusters (they're already doing this cheaper and better than Apple did at Virginia Tech), and what works in clusters doesn't always equate to what works best in desktops.

However, if I had to bet, I'd say Apple's relatively safe as multicore is what's on everybody's mind. Intel's supposed to have it in early 05, AMD soon after, and I know it's on IBM's drawing board.

Comment

Originally posted by elevate

Invariably, Apple could conceivably get in a similar quagmire to the one with Motorola - that is, having to use a chip that doesn't exactly suit their needs. With IBM exiting the PC market, their vision for the 970 line may be to stick bunches of them in clusters (they're already doing this cheaper and better than Apple did at Virginia Tech), and what works in clusters doesn't always equate to what works best in desktops.

However, if I had to bet, I'd say Apple's relatively safe as multicore is what's on everybody's mind. Intel's supposed to have it in early 05, AMD soon after, and I know it's on IBM's drawing board.

Hey Elevate..

When you say 'stick bunches of them in clusters', is that as in multiprocessors??

Comment

Originally posted by Rimmer

Hey Elevate..

When you say 'stick bunches of them in clusters', is that as in multiprocessors??

As in bunches of rackmount computers, each with 1-4 processors in it, like this.

Comment

Originally posted by elevate

As in bunches of rackmount computers, each with 1-4 processors in it, like this.

Ah... Looks expensive..

Comment

çok çok teşekkürler.Kendinize iyi bakın.

Comment

çok çok teşekkürler.Kendinize iyi bakın.

WTF!
                            G-Dub
                            www.studiog-fx.com
                            15 inch Quad-core i7, Macbook Pro,
                            OSX 10.8.2, LPX, Logic 9.1.8, Apollo Duo

Comment

G8 is here.

Comment

Working...
                              X