Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Anyone using an ATA card in a G4?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone using an ATA card in a G4?

I'm thinking about throwing one in my G4 but i was wondering what opinions/suggestion people had?

Should I get one of those shrink-wrapped ribbon cables? You know, **************** like that.

i thought about SATA, but that's way out of my budget right now. Especially since I'd have to buy a controller AND new drive
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="Blue"><b><font size="7">[Z?]</font></b></font><br />
    <a href="http://soundcloud.com/mus0r" target="_blank">http://soundcloud.com/mus0r</a></div>

Do you mean a ATA Hard drive controller card?

Do you already have a 2nd hard drive in your G4 for audio?
    If so, what kind of track counts are you getting with it before it chokes?

By "shrink-wrapped" ribbon cables, do you mean the round ones?
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><font size="2"><br />
    </font></font><font size="2"><br />
    </font></div>

Comment

yeah, good question... i have two ATA drives in my g4 sawtooth, can i put more ATA drives in? i have two more power cables in there, but the ribbon simply only has two connectors, could i possibly get another ribbon that has more connectors and go from there? or am i just dreaming and if i want more hard drives i have to go scsi?
      <div class="signaturecontainer">THIS IS MY LAST DAY ON OJ BITCHES! </div>

Comment

Originally posted by multitrack mind

Yes.

Yes.

I dunno...haven't choked yet

Yes.
        <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="Blue"><b><font size="7">[Z?]</font></b></font><br />
        <a href="http://soundcloud.com/mus0r" target="_blank">http://soundcloud.com/mus0r</a></div>

Comment

Originally posted by GloomGenerator
          Originally posted by multitrack mind

Yes.

Yes.

I dunno...haven't choked yet

Yes.

Well, if you're not having any problems with your existing drives,I'm not sure why you think you need an ATA card.

I use a Sonnet Tempo ATA/133 card and it works very well. I wanted to be able to get 50-60 audio tracks and I do.

This one...http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempo_ata133.html
          </font></div>

Comment

Originally posted by CAPPS
            yeah, good question... i have two ATA drives in my g4 sawtooth, can i put more ATA drives in? i have two more power cables in there, but the ribbon simply only has two connectors, could i possibly get another ribbon that has more connectors and go from there? or am i just dreaming and if i want more hard drives i have to go scsi?

Most ribbon cables have 2 plugs on them. So, you need some new cables. Buy these from a PC store, not a Mac store, and pay two-thirds less.

Avoid cables over 24" in length. The round ones cost more, but are easier to handle and allow air to move more freely inside the machine.

Carefully read the installation instructions for what ever additional drives you put in there.If you dont get the drive Master/Slave settings right when hooking 2 drives to one cable, you's in a heap o' trouble.
            </font></div>

Comment

All ATA cables only have two drive connectors. You can't have more than two drives on an ATA channel.

Comment

Details,details

I should have said that most ATA cables have 2 drive connectors and a connector at the other end to plug into the motherboard.

</font></div>

Comment

Originally posted by Save The Pine Weasel
                  All ATA cables only have two drive connectors. You can't have more than two drives on an ATA channel.

is this a fact? is there any exceptions?
                  <div class="signaturecontainer">THIS IS MY LAST DAY ON OJ BITCHES! </div>

Comment

No, 2 drives per channel is the max.

You can get a Sonnet ATA133 card. It has 2 channels so you can hook 4 drives up to it.

The link is a few posts up.
                    </font></div>

Comment

Originally posted by CAPPS

I've got 3 ATA drives with no extra PCI card in my sawtooth. Two reside at the bottom, on 1 ATA channel, the other one lives under the DVDR, in the area where a zip drive can fit. There is an open connector on the DVDROM cable (unless you've got a zip) and some power cables too. Installing isn't too hard, just make sure you have the jumpers set right.

Comment

Working...
                      X