No announcement yet.

An interesting point about the eMac & audio

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An interesting point about the eMac & audio

Recently I replaced my aging 466MHz G4 tower at work with a nice zippy eMac, the new 1.2MHz "USB 2.0," just the low end combo drive/40GB HD one. I still plan on replacing my home Mac (533MHz G4 tower) with a G5 for heavy audio with a lot of tracks and plug ins, but to get to the point...

For this eMac at work I just use Finale and other relatively lightweight software. But until I get my G5, I thought it would be nice to know the speed of my eMac's hard drive. You know, is it 5400 or 7200 rpm? For recording just 8 or so tracks with a few plug ins on my coffee break?

System Profiler didn't tell me.

Disk Utility wouldn't tell me.

I went to the Apple site and checked the specs. Nope. Went to Support and checked every eMac doc. Nope.

Googled for it. Found reviews from ZD Net and others. The 80GB "Serial ATA/100" HD eMac model (with a SuperDrive) runs at 7200 rpm. But NOTHING about the HD speed of the "Ultra ATA/100" 40GB (combo drive) eMac.

Finally, I called AppleCare. The guy looked and looked for the information. HE COULDN'T FIND IT. NOT LISTED!!

That's right, boys and girls. This reminds me of my old Power Mac 66MHz 601 (home) and Performa 100MHz 6300 (work) setup. Turns out the older PM was faster than the Performa in spite of the latter's higher clock speed. Why? As it turned out, former Apple Prez Spindler was saving $$ by putting slower HDs into the Performas, faster HDs into the Power Macs, and not telling anyone. When Amelio took over, bless him, he stopped that practice.

At least we thought he did...
    "Music is the best"
    --Frank Zappa

For a good time, try http://analogkid.us/yabb/YaBB.pl

You can get the model number of the hard drive from Apple System Profiler or Disk Tools and look up the specs at the manufacturer's web site.

FWIW, Apple also left L2 cache out of Performas, which didn't help them at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Save The Pine Weasel
      You can get the model number of the hard drive from Apple System Profiler or Disk Tools and look up the specs at the manufacturer's web site.

FWIW, Apple also left L2 cache out of Performas, which didn't help them at all.

Thanks for the good idea! I'll report back about this from work tomorrow.
      "Music is the best"
      --Frank Zappa

Comment

Yep, my eMac's hard drive runs at 5400 rpm!

It's a Maxtor 2F040L0 Fireball 3 Desktop.

The cheapest the company makes. And Apple runs it at even a slower speed than it's designed for. Maxtor lists it as an "ATA/133" but the data transfer speed Apple uses is 100MB per second as in "ATA/100".

Let the buyer beware...
        "Music is the best"
        --Frank Zappa

Comment

Originally posted by Birdienumnum
          Yep, my eMac's hard drive runs at 5400 rpm!

It's a Maxtor 2F040L0 Fireball 3 Desktop.

The cheapest the company makes. And Apple runs it at even a slower speed than it's designed for. Maxtor lists it as an "ATA/133" but the data transfer speed Apple uses is 100MB per second as in "ATA/100".

Let the buyer beware...

what a way to cripple the performance on a mac....make you want the big fast mac.
          Dual 867 g4, 1 GB Ram, Panther , Motu 896, novation supernova 2, MOTIF RACK Tuned Refrence 8 Event monitors. running logic 6 on OSX.

Comment

That is why they are called powermac. They have better components.
            Peace & Love, Lord Toranaga.

Comment

I don't believe any Mac, even the fastest G4, ever used the ATA/133 interface. The ATA/100 interface is more than enough. Even the 7200RPM ATA/133 drives don't come anywhere close to the 100mb/s transfer rate.

Comment

Well, you didn't buy the eMac expecting to play back multiple HD video streams, did you?

Forever,

Kim.
                The Composition Thread is sticky!
                There is no heavier burden than a great potential.- Unknown source

Comment

WELL I GUESS THAT MABEY YOU SHOULD JUST LOOK INTO GETTING A FIREWIRE HARD DRIVE THEN
                  THIS IS MY LAST DAY ON OJ BITCHES!

Comment

Originally posted by CAPPS
                    WELL I GUESS THAT MABEY YOU SHOULD JUST LOOK INTO GETTING A FIREWIRE HARD DRIVE THEN

Yeah, and then find out the firewire transfer speed has( maybe) been crippled too

I had someone bring over a Performa some years back complaining about how slow it seemed. It was.. I benchmarked it using Norton and it was pretty sad, the sloooowww hard drive really killing it. The lack of cache that Weasel mentioned didnt help either.

I wish I could remember the model#, but it sucked ass compared to a PowerMac that was about a third slower in clock speed.

On forums like this, you try to tell people not to buy iMacs or eMacs for audio work without coming across as some sort of Mac snob trying to get them to throw away additional money. People get offended or just dont believe you, period.It's not just clock speed that makes a good computer. Slow hard drives,bus speed,lack of or small/useless CPU cache all kill audio performance.

Comment

You could replace the hard drive with a faster one, although that is an incredible pain in the ass with eMacs and G4 iMacs.

As long as you put enough memory into them, eMacs and iMacs are perfectly good computers. They aren't top of the line, but they're capable and you didn't pay top of the line money.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeez
                        Well, you didn't buy the eMac expecting to play back multiple HD video streams, did you?

Forever,

Kim.

No, of course not. Like I said, I mainly use it for music notation, the internet, and word processing. For all of that it's much faster than my old computer. I'm very happy with it.

Now I am going to set it up (once I have a decent audio interface) for transferring four-track reel tapes and eight-track ADAT cassettes to Logic and hence to CD after some cleaning up. And for that easy load I also expect the little ole eMac to be adaquate. Even my Logic manual says I can expect that much from a slow hard drive.
                        "Music is the best"
                        --Frank Zappa

Comment

Originally posted by Save The Pine Weasel

As long as you put enough memory into them, eMacs and iMacs are perfectly good computers. They aren't top of the line, but they're capable and you didn't pay top of the line money.

Exactly. I'm just saving up now for a new home computer for my own music...a G5 tower of course. But I already love my eMac (and Panther).
                          "Music is the best"
                          --Frank Zappa

Comment

Originally posted by multitrack mind
                            I had someone bring over a Performa some years back complaining about how slow it seemed. It was.. I benchmarked it using Norton and it was pretty sad, the sloooowww hard drive really killing it. The lack of cache that Weasel mentioned didnt help either.

I wish I could remember the model#, but it sucked ass compared to a PowerMac that was about a third slower in clock speed.

Probably the ones with 603e chips. Those were notorious.
                            "Music is the best"
                            --Frank Zappa

Comment

Originally posted by multitrack mind

Yeah, and then find out the firewire transfer speed has( maybe) been crippled too

no way... apple would never go that low...
                              THIS IS MY LAST DAY ON OJ BITCHES!

Comment

Working...
                              X