X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reason or Logic Pro

I want to get some music software, and messed around with the Reason demo a bit. I had a ton of fun with it. The only thing I didn't really like was the sequencer, and I wasn't too fond of some of the sounds it came with. Other than that, it was pretty sweet. So I was planning on getting that...and then saw that I can get Logic Pro 7 for 500 bucks with the student discount. Unfortunately there's no demo for it, and I haven't seen any videos on it or anything, so I've got no clue what it's like. Hopefully I can go into Seattle some time to check out their Apple store and mess around with it.

I'm not sure which one I ought to go with. I gotta figure there's a reason that Logic costs a grand...but for only 100 bucks more than Reason, it's definitely worth checking out. Can I do more in Logic than I could in Reason? I'd like any feedback or opinions on this. Ultimately though, I'll want to get in and demo Logic to see if I like it. Thanks for any responses.

Reason is a software synth--an instrument. Logic is a complete recording environment and sequencer. Apples and oranges.

Logic supports Reason's ReWire technology, so you could use Reason as an instrument in a Logic session.

Comment

The Logic description says it's got 34 software instruments. Reason has the drum machine, synthesizers (FM and graintable), and a sampler. Logic has all of those as well, plus more I guess (the 34 total). Doesn't really seem like apples and oranges to me.

Comment

Originally posted by pergesu
        Doesn't really seem like apples and oranges to me.

Okay, maybe that was a bit strong. For the extra hundred bucks you'll get a full-fledged recording system that Reason can't touch (it doesn't do audio). The software instruments probably won't be as complex as Reason's, but you can always add a better synth later.

Comment

Originally posted by Qengho

The software instruments probably won't be as complex as Reason's, but you can always add a better synth later.

I actually think Logic's synths are MORE complex (Sculpture, EXS24mkII, ES2, etc.) and more extensible than those in Reason. Reason's synths, however, are more accessible and easy to use out-of-the-box.

That said, this choice is a no-brainer for me. Logic. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by pergesu
            Doesn't really seem like apples and oranges to me.

REALLY, IT IS LIKE APPLES AND ORANGES.

REASON SOUNDS "REASONY", HAS NO ABILITY TO RECORD AUDIO TRACKS, AND IS VERY SIMPLE TO LEARN. IT IS ALSO GREAT FOR GETTING IDEAS OUT QUICK.

LOGIC = HUGE LEARNING CURVE
            WAY MORE FLEXIBILITY, AUDIO TRACKS, AUDIO UNIT SUPPORT, AND MANY OTHER BELLS AND WHISTLES.

REASON IS SUPER LIGHT ON THE CPU, LOGIC, NOT AS MUCH (ESPECIALLY WITH LOTS OF PLUGS)

GET EM BOTH.
            <div class="signaturecontainer">THIS IS MY LAST DAY ON OJ BITCHES! </div>

Comment

How do the instrument sounds in Logic compare to Reason's? There were a bunch of Reason sounds I really didn't like, particularly the Orkester ones. Will I have all the sounds I need in Logic, or would I need to get something else along with it? Basically I want to have the equivalent of a Motif ES on my computer. Is that even possible?

Comment

Reason is cool and very slick looking (the whole rack thing), but there is nothing it can do that Logic can't. There are just some things it does more easily, such as pattern-based sequencing.

Logic's own synths are outstanding (ES2 is, in my humble opinion, one of the best synths - soft or hardware - that I've ever heard), plus you can use third-party ones as well.

Reason can't touch Logic's FX - two words: Sound Designer.

If you don't need audio and like Reason's sound and interface, it might be the way to go. If you need full-fledged recording tools, mastering capabilities, etc, then Logic's your guy.
                <div class="signaturecontainer">Justin<br />
                <br />
                G5/Logic Pro/MOTU1224<br />
                <br />
                ES2/Nord Rack 2/Pro-53/PPG Wave/JX-10/Wavestation SR/JV-1080/01Wfd/TG33/Reaktor Session/CS-80V<br />
                <br />
                Hear the tunes! http://www.theorangealternative.com<br />
                </div>

Comment

Logic is a multi track recording program and midi sequencer. The effects and synths are a great bonus but I see those more as extras.
                  Reason is more simplistic. It's geared towards 4/4/ time loop based dance music. You can do other stuff with it, especially if you use it with a sequencer such as Logic's, but using just Reason for, say, an orchestral score or for some exotic time signatures is what we in the biz call a losing proposition. Also for a really sophisticated and layered pop sound Reason would best be used with, again I say it, Logic as that is where you'd want to be when mixing a tune and doing fine tweaking.
                  Reason is where you might want to be to fart around and generate new ideas.
                  If you want to host high quality synths and accrue a library of sounds such as what one might expect from a Ya,aha Motif then Logic would put you way ahead of your stated goal with a caveat... you'd probably have to spend a little more and assemble a nice collection of third party synths and effects. There are a lot of virtual sound modules using the Kontakt engine, like Garritan Personal Orchestra and Morphology. There's the SPectrasonics virtua modules. Then there's stuff like the Native Instruments Komplete 2 bundle...great stuff...and there's the Arturia synths, modelled on classic analogs, and the Virsyn stuff which is quite heady and great sounding,

Comment

Working...
                  X