X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey 3DMC,

Congrats on your purchase, I have a similar machine and it is a total workhorse, i use it constantly.

I was running a Firewire 410 but recently sold it and made an upgrade to an Echo Audio Layla3G.

Check it out. I know it doesn't have the amount of MIDI ins/outs you are looking for but that can be easily covered by a USB midi port.

http://www.echoaudio.com
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Waldorf Q, RS7000, A4000, PCR-300</div>

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I love Echo's stuff. Though at this point I'm pretty well settled on the Tascam FW1884 - I think I can get it for about $1100 (b-stock) less the trade-in of my other gear. It will be really nice to have a multi-in interface, as well as a kickass control surface.

Comment

Originally posted by 3DMC
        Thanks for the tip. I love Echo's stuff. Though at this point I'm pretty well settled on the Tascam FW1884 - I think I can get it for about $1100 (b-stock) less the trade-in of my other gear. It will be really nice to have a multi-in interface, as well as a kickass control surface.

Let us know how you like the FW1884. I am currently researching options myself and this one looks nice for sure.

Comment

Got the Princeton last night. It was like upgrading from a Ford Pinto to a Toyota Prius GT.

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL display. No - the response time isn't as good as that on my Powerbook, but the display itself is more vibrant, brighter, bigger, and just plain gorgeous to look at. I tried it on both my PC and Mac. The Mac was undoubtedly better - OS X has a profile established for the monitor already, and it was connected via DVI.

All told - an EXCELLENT investment. If you're not a gamer, and don't mind a very minor amount of ghosting (noticeable while scrolling on a dark webpage with white text for example), this is an absolute bargain.

Thanks for the review. I wonder if the rebate will still be offered by the time I'm ready to buy. I don't blame you for jumping on the deal, even if the monitor was only mediocre. Glad it isn't.

Comment

G5 arrived last night - WOW. It is a lot more quiet than I even anticipated. The loudest part is the Superdrive!

And man is it fast...I imagine I still have room for even a bit more improvement if I put 2GB of RAM in there instead of 1GB.

But Logic Pro 7 runs like a champ - and even running Ultrabeat, Sculpture or a big Reaktor ensemble doesn't seem to get over 50% of a single processor. Even so, I imagine I'll be using Freeze Tracks quite a bit for the more CPU intensive softsynths.

So far everything is running pretty smoothly. I reinstalled the OS from scratch (thanks Lipids and Rimmer), updated via Software Update, re-installed almost all of my applications, transfered a few key prefs over from the TiBook, ran all the maintenence utils in Onyx and repaired permissions, then cloned the startup drive as well as my audio drive. Did I mention that I did NOT install the 10.3.6 update? It caused all kinds of instability in my TiBook - so I'm going to hold off on that one...

I'm debating whether or not I'm going to install Logic Platinum 6 as well, to allow backward compatibility with my friend's PC-based Logic studio...And does anyone know if/how I can relocate all the Garageband/Apple Loops over to my audio drive, and still have Garageband be able to find them?

Comment

G5 arrived last night - WOW. It is a lot more quiet than I even anticipated. The loudest part is the Superdrive!

And man is it fast...I imagine I still have room for even a bit more improvement if I put 2GB of RAM in there instead of 1GB.

But Logic Pro 7 runs like a champ - and even running Ultrabeat, Sculpture or a big Reaktor ensemble doesn't seem to get over 50% of a single processor. Even so, I imagine I'll be using Freeze Tracks quite a bit for the more CPU intensive softsynths.

So far everything is running pretty smoothly. I reinstalled the OS from scratch (thanks Lipids and Rimmer), updated via Software Update, re-installed almost all of my applications, transfered a few key prefs over from the TiBook, ran all the maintenence utils in Onyx and repaired permissions, then cloned the startup drive as well as my audio drive. Did I mention that I did NOT install the 10.3.6 update? It caused all kinds of instability in my TiBook - so I'm going to hold off on that one...

I'm debating whether or not I'm going to install Logic Platinum 6 as well, to allow backward compatibility with my friend's PC-based Logic studio...And does anyone know if/how I can relocate all the Garageband/Apple Loops over to my audio drive, and still have Garageband be able to find them?

Did you install the latest firmware update? If so, how has that been working for you?

Comment

I didn't install it - I assumed that it would come with the latest firmware from the factory. Didn't the firmware come out over a month ago...?

Comment

I didn't install it - I assumed that it would come with the latest firmware from the factory. Didn't the firmware come out over a month ago...?

I believe so. I just figure... "if it ain't broke..."

Comment

Just checked - yup, latest firmware. I haven't yet installed 10.3.6 or 10.3.7 updates, though...

Comment

Working...
                    X