X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And so it begins...

Well, I started the move to a new G5 last night. Ordered a 19" LCD monitor from Newegg. It has gotten great user reviews in nearly every place I've checked. And here's the killer - $349 after rebate!!!

It is the Princeton 19" - check out Newegg.com for details!

Next up I need to find a good firewire audio interface that also has at least 2x2 MIDI - preferably 4x4...Anyone have ideas?

Originally posted by 3DMC
    Well, I started the move to a new G5 last night. Ordered a 19" LCD monitor from Newegg. It has gotten great user reviews in nearly every place I've checked. And here's the killer - $349 after rebate!!!

It is the Princeton 19" - check out Newegg.com for details!

Next up I need to find a good firewire audio interface that also has at least 2x2 MIDI - preferably 4x4...Anyone have ideas?

THAT TASCAM CARD WITH 8x8 audio, ADAT, MOTORIZED FADERS, 4x4 MIDI
    <div class="signaturecontainer">THIS IS MY LAST DAY ON OJ BITCHES! </div>

Comment

This one fits the bill...http://www.tascam.com/Products/fw1804.html

I dont know why so many of these Firewire things only have 1x1 MIDI , or none at all.
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><font size="2"><br />
      </font></font><font size="2"><br />
      </font></div>

Comment

The 1804FW looks very promising - although it is a bit large...? The other one that looked okay was the ESI OctaFire (which is currently vaporware) and maybe the Hercules...

The Tascam control surface looks GREAT - but it is a little more expensive than I'd like - and it is farking HUGE. I don't know if you've seen one in person - but it is bigger than a Mackie 1604...

Anyone know if the FW1804 is shipping yet?

Comment

The 1804FW looks very promising - although it is a bit large...? The other one that looked okay was the ESI OctaFire (which is currently vaporware) and maybe the Hercules...

The Tascam control surface looks GREAT - but it is a little more expensive than I'd like - and it is farking HUGE. I don't know if you've seen one in person - but it is bigger than a Mackie 1604...

Anyone know if the FW1804 is shipping yet?

THEY'RE BIG, BUT A GREAT VALUE FOR THE MONEY.
          <div class="signaturecontainer">THIS IS MY LAST DAY ON OJ BITCHES! </div>

Comment

Anyone know if they're still working with Frontier for their AD/DA convertors?

Comment

Hey 3DMC, when you get your monitor, let me know how it compares to an Apple Cinema Display. I know the Apple displays are pricey, but the ones I've seen really do seem crisper than other LCD displays.

I haven't done a whole lot of investigating because I'm not in the market quite yet, but when I did see the Apple displays, I was impressed and thought I might splurge on one.

Comment

Oh believe me - the Cinema Display is a far superior monitor. But at 3x the price for the 20", I just couldn't justify it. I'm sure that I'll get $350 out of this (upcoming) LCD - upgrading from a really crappy 17" CRT for my PC and my tiny 15" PB screen, this new monitor will be a huge step up.

But I certainly wouldn't class it with a Cinema Display. But come on...I'm trying to stay on budget here - something that is hard to do with a Mac anyway!

Comment

What made you decide on that particular model of monitor? I intended on a 19" until pixel resolution made me think otherwise. I've got a Samsung 17" on order. On top of that, I'm getting an additional discount for simply having to wait another week to get it.
                  Anyway, I'm ordering a 2nd of the same model after the 1st of the year.

Comment

Well, the Princeton has a 3 year warranty, which is nice. The response time isn't as good as your Samsung (25ms vs 12ms) but I'm not gaming with mine, so I'm not all too concerned with it. The resolution of the Princeton is the same - 1280 x 1024 - but I have 2 more inches to display that resolution, which will be really nice for some of the larger Reaktor ensembles and such. The Princeton also has a 700:1 contrast ratio. Users at Newegg and CNet gave it great reviews, so for the price I couldn't pass it up. Even if it doesn't work out, I'm sure I can get $350 for it on E-Bay and recoup my expenses and upgrade if needed...

Comment

Got the Princeton last night. It was like upgrading from a Ford Pinto to a Toyota Prius GT.

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL display. No - the response time isn't as good as that on my Powerbook, but the display itself is more vibrant, brighter, bigger, and just plain gorgeous to look at. I tried it on both my PC and Mac. The Mac was undoubtedly better - OS X has a profile established for the monitor already, and it was connected via DVI.

All told - an EXCELLENT investment. If you're not a gamer, and don't mind a very minor amount of ghosting (noticeable while scrolling on a dark webpage with white text for example), this is an absolute bargain.

------------
                      Next week I'm going to pick up my Tascam FW1884. A local mom-n-pop shop found a B-Stock unit for me that they'll give me for $1100. I've got a lot to trade against it so I should be able to get out of there without much out of pocket.

I'm selling my Shuttle XPC tonight - managed to get $500 for that. Last item on the table is my Powerbook, which I cant get rid of until I have the G5...

Soooooon...

Comment

I too have been interested in the tascam 1884... it's an interface plus an awesome control surface.

but

I heard a rumor that it's not compatible with Logic Audio 6.3. Anyone know if this is true? Mine came with the Big Box.
                        <div class="signaturecontainer">G5 Dual 1.8, Logic 7, Metric Halo 2882, Mackie Control, Tannoy Reveals, UAD-1. </div>

Comment

Check over at the Sonikmatter forums. Not sure if 6.3 is covered there but that is a great place to start...

Comment

Dual G5 1.8Ghz ordered today. Here are the specs:

Dual 1.8Ghz G5
                            ATI 9600XT Video (128MB)
                            Bluetooth
                            Airport Extreme
                            Superdrive
                            80GB SATA
                            Applecare (never leave home without it)

All told - $2335 USD with the Education discount and no sales tax (had my mum buy it in Oregon)

Should be here in about 5 days. After which, I'll have a 667Mhz Powerbook for sale...

Comment

Dual G5 1.8Ghz ordered today. Here are the specs:

Dual 1.8Ghz G5
                              ATI 9600XT Video (128MB)
                              Bluetooth
                              Airport Extreme
                              Superdrive
                              80GB SATA
                              Applecare (never leave home without it)

All told - $2335 USD with the Education discount and no sales tax (had my mum buy it in Oregon)

Should be here in about 5 days. After which, I'll have a 667Mhz Powerbook for sale...

Congrats... you will have a great time! And I agree about the Apple Care... since I purchased it the tech comes to my house, which is better than trying to lug this beast into the store!

Comment

Working...
                              X