Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "747 Mode"

Hey everyone... well, after having my G5 sit in the box for 8 weeks (I've been busy!), I finally opened it up today. Man, I felt like a kid again!

Anyway, I am re-acquainting myself to the whole Mac thing. I owned a Powerbook about 9 years ago (in college) and sold it to get a PC (ACK!). Anyway, this is my first venture back to the Mac platform. I must say, it looks like it may take a while to get used to, but I do like it.

The one thing that became blaringly obvious from the moment I fired up my G5 (Dual 2.5) is the ridiculous fan noise. It is totally drowning out my Dell 866Mhz that I got in 2000. I was expecting a little fan noise (the G5s I've heard in the Apple Stores sound silent, but I figured that once you take away the background noise in the store and bring it into your home, you would get a little noise). I've started reading some forums and heard some refer to the loud noise as "747 mode." Anyway, I believe mine problem has to do with the fans. The fans are spinning at a very high rate. Is there a simple fix to this that I need to do, or do I need to call Apple Care. Thankfully (since my initial 90 day is almost up) I bought the extended Apple Care.

Thanks for all your help,

Rick

I'M GLAD YOU POSTED THIS TWICE IN CASE I WANNA READ IT MORE THAN ONCE!
    THIS IS MY LAST DAY ON OJ BITCHES!

Comment

I think there is some kind of a firmware fix for this - though it still will not be as quiet as the newest line of G5's. I would take it in to the store and see if they can flash it there...

Comment

Originally posted by CAPPS
        I'M GLAD YOU POSTED THIS TWICE IN CASE I WANNA READ IT MORE THAN ONCE!

Sorry CAPPS... Safari was giving me problems last night. And...

I'M REALLY GLAD YOU PONIED UP A COUPLE OF BUCKS TO GET YOUR CAPS LOCK REPAIRED. I WAS GETTING WORRIED THAT MAYBE YOU ACTUALLY ENJOYED SCREAMING. MAYBE YOU HAVE THAT WEIRD DISEASE WHERE YOU CAN ONLY SPEAK AT ONE VOLUME AND ONE TONE. IF SO, I AM TERRIBLY SORRY. IT MUST BE HORRENDOUS TO GO THROUGH LIFE THAT WAY. YOU PROBABLY GET ALL YOUR LIBRARY CARDS REVOKED.

Just playing... at any rate, I figure you are kidding around. If not, chill out bro.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by 3DMC
          I think there is some kind of a firmware fix for this - though it still will not be as quiet as the newest line of G5's. I would take it in to the store and see if they can flash it there...

When did the "newest line of G5s" come out? I thought I had one...

Comment

Originally posted by H-BOMB!!!

Sorry CAPPS... Safari was giving me problems last night. And...

I'M REALLY GLAD YOU PONIED UP A COUPLE OF BUCKS TO GET YOUR CAPS LOCK REPAIRED. I WAS GETTING WORRIED THAT MAYBE YOU ACTUALLY ENJOYED SCREAMING. MAYBE YOU HAVE THAT WEIRD DISEASE WHERE YOU CAN ONLY SPEAK AT ONE VOLUME AND ONE TONE. IF SO, I AM TERRIBLY SORRY. IT MUST BE HORRENDOUS TO GO THROUGH LIFE THAT WAY. YOU PROBABLY GET ALL YOUR LIBRARY CARDS REVOKED.

Just playing... at any rate, I figure you are kidding around. If not, chill out bro.

Rick

YEAH, I'M JUST JOKING...

BUT THOSE FANS SHOULDN'T ALWAYS BE SPINING REALLY FAST, MABEY YOU GOT A DEFECT...
            THIS IS MY LAST DAY ON OJ BITCHES!

Comment

Originally posted by CAPPS

YEAH, I'M JUST JOKING...

BUT THOSE FANS SHOULDN'T ALWAYS BE SPINING REALLY FAST, MABEY YOU GOT A DEFECT...

Well, I'm calling Apple today... hopefully this thing can be fixed. I didn't pay $5K to get something that sounds like it can vacuum the whole block...

Comment

Hmmm...I think you're right. There appears to be only one revision of the 2.5Ghz dualie -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Macintosh_G5#Product_revision_history

Comment

You must be one SERIOUSLY busy guy to have left that baby in the box for 8 weeks. If I got one in my grubby hands, I'd be ripping open the package like it was Christmas... ever as giddy as a schoolgirl.

heh
                  G5 Dual 1.8, Logic 7, Metric Halo 2882, Mackie Control, Tannoy Reveals, UAD-1.

Comment

Originally posted by 3DMC
                    Hmmm...I think you're right. There appears to be only one revision of the 2.5Ghz dualie -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Macintosh_G5#Product_revision_history

That's what I thought. Well good to know I still have the latest and greatest! LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by kellyvsgray
                      You must be one SERIOUSLY busy guy to have left that baby in the box for 8 weeks. If I got one in my grubby hands, I'd be ripping open the package like it was Christmas... ever as giddy as a schoolgirl.

heh

LOL... yeah, my wife gave birth to our first baby about a month ago. Of course, before my daughter's arrival I was getting the house ready. That G5 was taunting me everyday. ARGH! But whatever, my daughter is the coolest thing in the world... the G5 (as nice as it is) obviously pales in comparison.

Comment

Well, I called Apple Care this afternoon (after doing some searching on the net to discover that a number of people are experiencing the same problem that I am). Anyway, they told me someone would call me within 4 business hours to set up a time to come out to my house to look at the G5. 20 minutes later (!) I got a call. They told me they ordered the parts and that they will probably be out on Monday or Tuesday. Sounds like they are going to replace the power supply and do a "thermal calibration." Hope it works!

Rick

Comment

I don't know how much troubleshooting they did over the phone with you, but the only thing I've ever seen causing this on a G5 that was otherwise running properly has been if the case isn't closed properly. Underneath the side panel is a clear plastic cover. If it's off, or not on right, the fans go nuts. You might want to make sure it's in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Save The Pine Weasel
                            I don't know how much troubleshooting they did over the phone with you, but the only thing I've ever seen causing this on a G5 that was otherwise running properly has been if the case isn't closed properly. Underneath the side panel is a clear plastic cover. If it's off, or not on right, the fans go nuts. You might want to make sure it's in place.

STPW:

That's the first thing they had me check. I think that sensor is fine because the red light came on when I removed the plastic cover. Ironically enough, the fans slowed down and the unit got quieter when I had the plastic cover off. Weird, huh?

Comment

Well, the Apple Care tech came over today and did a thermal calibration. Turns out, it was never done before. So, 40min later, the 747 landed and has not taken off again... yet. We'll see if this was the long term fix I needed...

Comment

Working...
                              X