Ram upgrade on power mac G5

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram upgrade on power mac G5

hi everyone

everywhere I look I see recs. to upgrade from 512 MB of ram to 1 GB.

I am currently putting together my studio including the above CPU (2Mhz x2), MOTU 828 mk II, DP 4. I will be doing some midi, but mostly mic or direct feeds of instruments. I do all the work myself so stereo ins are about all that will be recorded at any given time with a max of 40 +/- tracks.

My questions is these, what improvements will I see with an upgrade in ram, how obvious will these improvements be, and is it worth going to 1.5, 2, ..., 8 GB of ram. Of course I am exagerating by saying 8, but is it worth my while to go to 1 or even more ram.

Thanks to all for always helping out.
    www.myspace.com/paulwillisproject

1985 MIJ Fender Strat (PRS Dragon pickup/ Kahler Spyder trem, GK-2A midi pickup
    1982 Ibanez Joe Pass (JP20)
    2000 Carvin 727
    1978 Epiphone SG 550

Bogner Shiva/Mills Acoustic 4x12 cab
    1978 Fender Deluxe Reverb

Digitech GSP 2101,
    Roland GR-1 guitar synth
    Roland VG-88

Other assorted items

Originally posted by doc7string
    hi everyone

everywhere I look I see recs. to upgrade from 512 MB of ram to 1 GB.

I am currently putting together my studio including the above CPU (2Mhz x2), MOTU 828 mk II, DP 4. I will be doing some midi, but mostly mic or direct feeds of instruments. I do all the work myself so stereo ins are about all that will be recorded at any given time with a max of 40 +/- tracks.

My questions is these, what improvements will I see with an upgrade in ram, how obvious will these improvements be, and is it worth going to 1.5, 2, ..., 8 GB of ram. Of course I am exagerating by saying 8, but is it worth my while to go to 1 or even more ram.

Thanks to all for always helping out.

I personally would have at least 1gig in these days. I actually have 640 in my G4 but I tend not to use any ram hogging virtual instruments or soft-samplers.

My recommendation would be to have a gig of ram unless you are using loads of samplers, virtual instruments or heavy tasking effects like convolution reverbs etc for which you may want to stick another 512 or more in...
    "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

I consider 512 the minimum for running OS X in general. If you're doing audio, 1GB is a great starting place, and as Rimmer pointed out, enough (right now) to take care of most folks who aren't using a lot of softsynths/samplers.

I'm starting with 1GB in my new G5 and I'll see how it treats me. I'll be doing mostly software based synths and samplers, but thanks to Freeze tracks I think I can get by with 1GB for quite awhile...

That said, you will certainly notice things running more smoothly across the board with 1GB. Given your description (stereo tracks being recorded only and then 40+ tracks on playback) I think 1GB should be sufficient - depending on the number of effects and so forth. But depending on how much $$$ you've got, and how many free slots, 1.5GB certainly would be a sweet spot for you. Beyond that I doubt you'd see any significant performance gains.

Comment

Working...
      X