"Holding off interrupts for too long..."

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Holding off interrupts for too long..."

Hi there,

I'm using a 12inch Powerbook with a 1 gig processor and 768 megs of RAM and OS X 10.2.7 with an Mbox.

While I'm working in a session, it almost always stops and gives me the "System has been holding off interrupts for too long, if this persists, please increase buffer size in playback engine, etc." So, I have to run everything at 1024 samples and Level 4 DAE buffer size just to keep things running.

This happens when I only have maybe 10-12 tracks going and 5 or 6 plug-ins.

Shouldn't a system like mine support more tracks and more plug-ins? I got the extra RAM so I could use alot of plug-ins if I wanted to. My bandmate has a 15 inch, 1.5 Gig Processor with ony 512 megs of RAM and never has the problem even with a lot of plug-ins.

Anyone have this?

Thanks.

Mr.S

Are you running other programs at the same time?

Forever,

Kim.
    The Composition Thread is sticky!
    There is no heavier burden than a great potential.- Unknown source

Comment

Nope. Just Pro Tools.

Comment

Hmm. What about CPU usage? Check the ProTools CPU meter (it must have one!).

When the CPu is running at (or near) its limit, often increasing the audio buffer size can squeeze some more performance, at the expense of increased latency.

Forever,

Kim.

Comment

I'm running it at 1024 samples, 85%, and Level 4 DAE buffer size.
          That's the problem. It shouldn't be doing this. My processor speed and available RAm should be more than enough to support 10-15 tracks of audio and 5-8 plug-ins. At least I would hope so.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Skellington
            I'm running it at 1024 samples, 85%, and Level 4 DAE buffer size.

Is that 85% actual usage, or 85% ceiling?

Originally posted by Mr.Skellington
            That's the problem. It shouldn't be doing this. My processor speed and available RAm should be more than enough to support 10-15 tracks of audio and 5-8 plug-ins. At least I would hope so.

15 audio tracks is fine. It's the plugins that might be a worry. It really depends on what plugins you're using. 8 basic EQs would barely make an impact on performance, whereas 8 complex FFT resynthesisers running at high frame sizes and overlap factors would slay a G4 (especially if they don't use Altivec).

That's why I asked about CPU usage. Is your CPU being maxed out (run at its limit)? If that's the case, then having to increase the buffer size to maintain audio performance may be a legitimate solution.

If your CPU is running nowhere near its limit, then I would think that the problem might be related to drivers or other software.

Forever,

Kim.

Comment

Working...
            X