Clear All

• Diversified Percussion Grooves for Nylon-String Guitarist/Singer

_ Last Thread _ Next Thread
    Author
    Thread __
    MischaZ
    Gear interested

Hi, Folks:

I am fairly new to PAs again, since I last made a living with them in the 60s and early 70s. Anyway I play classical/pop nylon-string guitar and sing. I've worked a fair amount with conga players, which I love, and even with tabla players, which can be wonderful. In performance, I might do a Roy Orbison ballad, a Beatles ballad, Bossa Nova, and then a Vivaldi guitar concerto. I would like to enhance my daily practices via percussion. I have an ancient Alesis SR16, but I don't care for the presets at all, this machine is way too "hyped" for my needs. What I'd like is something extremely diverse, something that would play a basic Calypso, then Rhumba, then Country Swing, etc., etc., with some tasteful, high quality instruments, and I'd like to have tasteful pre-made grooves, I don't want to take lots of time studying the art of percussion and programming from scratch. I have a G5 Mac and Pro Tools LE. I have a CD player that I can put into my PA. I also would consider another drum machine, if it had hand percussion and diversified programming. I do NOT want to spend a fortune here, I don't think I would use this "live" too often, but you never know, of course. Any ideas, folks? Would Garage Band work well? It there a good program or a good book to help me learn how to use Garage Band? Or, is there an out-of-sight dedicated program that would address my needs. So far, at least one person has suggested Groove Agent, and another person suggested Culture. Both seemed to only take me half-way to home. Does Groove Agent have any hot hand percussion?

Sorry, so many questions... but many thanks!

All my best.

Mischa

Originally posted by Mischa Z
    _ Last Thread _ Next Thread
    Author
    Thread __
    MischaZ
    Gear interested

Hi, Folks:

I am fairly new to PAs again, since I last made a living with them in the 60s and early 70s. Anyway I play classical/pop nylon-string guitar and sing. I've worked a fair amount with conga players, which I love, and even with tabla players, which can be wonderful. In performance, I might do a Roy Orbison ballad, a Beatles ballad, Bossa Nova, and then a Vivaldi guitar concerto. I would like to enhance my daily practices via percussion. I have an ancient Alesis SR16, but I don't care for the presets at all, this machine is way too "hyped" for my needs. What I'd like is something extremely diverse, something that would play a basic Calypso, then Rhumba, then Country Swing, etc., etc., with some tasteful, high quality instruments, and I'd like to have tasteful pre-made grooves, I don't want to take lots of time studying the art of percussion and programming from scratch. I have a G5 Mac and Pro Tools LE. I have a CD player that I can put into my PA. I also would consider another drum machine, if it had hand percussion and diversified programming. I do NOT want to spend a fortune here, I don't think I would use this "live" too often, but you never know, of course. Any ideas, folks? Would Garage Band work well? It there a good program or a good book to help me learn how to use Garage Band? Or, is there an out-of-sight dedicated program that would address my needs. So far, at least one person has suggested Groove Agent, and another person suggested Culture. Both seemed to only take me half-way to home. Does Groove Agent have any hot hand percussion?

Sorry, so many questions... but many thanks!

All my best.

Mischa

Did you noy get Garageband with the G5? Could be ideal...
    <div class="signaturecontainer">"(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P</div>

Comment

-Groove Agent seems more designed for the home recordist who hasnt the patience to program their own drum parts. When this thing came out, I was interested in it,but there was a problem with the downloadable demo ( ie- it doesnt work!).

There are numerous reports of problems using it with non-Steinberg apps...maybe this has been fixed by now. Here's the demo link...
      http://ga.clubcubase.net/downloads.html

-For live performance, do you really want the hassle of having a bunch of easily-damaged CDs and changing them in and out between songs? A drum machine is much less hassle and less damage-prone.

-I agree with what you said about the SR-16. I guess when it was made, everyone wanted huge Rap sounds.By programming your own kits, you can substitute those obnoxious sounds with nicer ones, and they are lurking inside. I made all my own kits, and they work well with the rhythm presets which I find very handy for jamming and roughing out drum parts when sequencing. And of course, you can easily program your own patterns and songs.

I do all the actual beat programming in the sequencer using the SR-16 as a sound module, and when the programming is done, I use Battery to actually record the drum parts.

Of all the options you've listed for live use, I'd go for either trying to get the SR-16 to sound like I want for live use, or get another drum machine that sounds more to your liking. As a former gigging musician ,the simplest way to do something live is usually the best.

If you dont want to go this route, then a laptop with all your drum parts in digital format where you can quickly call up the next song would be your best bet.

But, which would freak you out more if it was stolen...a $200 drum machine or a laptop?

Cheers.
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><font size="2"><br />
      </font></font><font size="2"><br />
      </font></div>

Comment

Working...
      X