Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my hard drive has died, it seems

I turned on my computer this morning - I have a Quicksilver G4 - only to be greated by the terrifying Flashing Question Mark of Doom. I've worked with Macs long enough to know what gis means: My computer was not reading its own hard drive.

I restarted while holding down Option. My hard drive did not appear on the subsequent screen.

I called an Apple tech at the Apple Store in Edison, N.J. We walked through some other options. I attempted to boot fromt he system disc - no dice. My computer wouldn't budge fromt he question mark screen.

I then tried to do a Firewire transfer from ym G4 to my iBook. No dice - my iBook could not read my G4's hard drive.

So how ****************ed am I? Will it be possible to retrieve any of the data on my main hard drive, or should I just kiss all that **************** goodbye?

If you can't boot from a system CD it's not your hard drive, it's probably your motherboard. Your data may still be okay.

Have you tried disconnecting everything but the keyboard and mouse and rebooting. I've heard that some peripherals can cause transient problems like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Qengho
      If you can't boot from a system CD it's not your hard drive, it's probably your motherboard. Your data may still be okay.

Have you got another desktop computer? I suggest you try removing the hard drive and connecting it to another (known working) computer.

Forever,

Kim.
      The Composition Thread is sticky!
      There is no heavier burden than a great potential.- Unknown source

Comment

try this...

connect your ibook into your computer using a firewire cable.

boot up your desktop computer holding down option while your ibook is firewire disk mode (start up the ibook holding down T).

you should see the ibooks hard drive as a start up choice and proceed.

No go into apps/utilities and launch the disk utility.

If that doesn't work go to start up disk and see if your HD appears.

this worked for me recently...
        http://www.purevolume.com/stiffoneeye
        http://www.purevolume.com/murphyjr
        Mesa Single Rectifier
        Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Cab (Vintage 30s)
        Mesa Boogie Busterbass 200
        Mesa Boogie Diesel 1x15 & 2x10
        Gibson 1960 Les Paul Classic Bullion Gold
        Gibson SG Standard Classic White
        Gibson SG Faded Cherry - Burstbucker 2 in bridge

Comment

Working...