X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capps,

I promptly returned it.
    G5 Dual 1.8, Logic 7, Metric Halo 2882, Mackie Control, Tannoy Reveals, UAD-1.

Comment

Originally posted by kellyvsgray
      Capps,

I promptly returned it.

THIS IS MY LAST DAY ON OJ BITCHES!

Comment

Eh;

I'd have gotten full price for it anyways- it was still in the packaging.

Are you in the UK or something?

You know if you want one, you could always "gift" me the $ and I could "gift" you the Sonnet

Comment

Eh;

I'd have gotten full price for it anyways- it was still in the packaging.

Are you in the UK or something?

You know if you want one, you could always "gift" me the $ and I could "gift" you the Sonnet

actually there is a computer store right by me that has a few left in stock. i'll pick one up as soon as i get the spare cash

Comment

Cool.

Well, I just called the store, and they just got the Zif in! Time to go pick it up in an hour!

Now.. I need to convince the manager to let me use a copy of OS9.2 to update the firmware.

Will report back tonight, if I can get the thing up.

Comment

Cool.

Well, I just called the store, and they just got the Zif in! Time to go pick it up in an hour!

Now.. I need to convince the manager to let me use a copy of OS9.2 to update the firmware.

Will report back tonight, if I can get the thing up.

We're waiting on a good news report dude..
              "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

whew.

Well, the store only had the utilities versions of OS9. Same with the apple store in town. Luckily I found the old OS8.6 disc from the original package. I installed the firmware patch in 8.6 (this is already after much stressing), installed teh new Zif, and booted up. No dice. I called sonnet, they said the processor will not work with 8.6. I was like where did it say that?????

So to get it back to OSX... Replaced the old processor, booted 8.6, FINALLY found the place where you can tell it to boot from another drive (my OSX drive), and re-booted. Back to square 1, but at least my firmware should be ready. Shut down, swap out processors and jumpers again, and it booted in OSX! yay!!!

Time to use the sonnet software again to do the OSX "tune-up." It was actually acting SLOWER at this point. Did the tune up from the provided CD, no change. It dawned on me that I should re-boot for the kernel extentions to take effect so...

Viola!!!!!

Right away after boot-up, things seemed snappier. It's ripping songs from CD's to I-tunes maybe 60 percent faster.. by estimation. The real test is Logic, being that's what I bought it for. For my existing project songs, it's a little hard to tell, because i havent tried to add more tracks or plugs yet... may try more software insturments when I get more time. I pulled up an old session and instead of UAD effects, I pulled up freeverb, which is pretty cpu-intensive, considering, and I could usually predict how it would affect my CPU usage. Basically, on this particular session, I can run about 6 or 7 freeverbs now, instead of 3 with that track count and everything else.

Definitely a difference; I need more time with it to get a better picture of how much better it will be. It was LATE when I finally finished.

All in all, Sonnet advertises and markets this product as "plug and play." This was not. But the people at Sonnet tech were very helpful on the phone.

If anyone tries the Zif upgrade- make sure you have a copy of OS9.2 ready to go. And be patient.

I will post more as I test it out.

Comment

thanks for the insight kellyvsgray!

Comment

so far, so good!
                    Heritage H535 Classic, Ibanez AF105N, ASAT Classic, MIM Telecaster
                    Yamaha G100-115 -w- Weber alnico Chicago 15
                    Valvetrain Tweed Champ -w- Weber 12A125
                    Barber Direct Drive, Keeley Java Boost, Boss digi Delay
                    Logic 6 on an old Powermac
                    Battery, Pro-52, ES1, EXSP24, EVD6, Crystal, Pluggo
                    Tannoy Reveals, AT3035, Prosonus pre

Comment

Good stuff that you got it running okay in OSX..!

I found that running Logic in OS9 on my 1.2 gig upgrade was a really decent improvement from the stock 400mhz. I haven't had the pleasure of runnning it in OSX yet though..

The reason I bought my upgrade was primarily because a project I was working on in the studio had virtually ground to a halt with the sheer amount of automation, effects and tracks I was using. There isn't a single track in the project now, that wont run fully on the new processor with some CPU to spare. There is a track count improvement but I have never figured fully how that relates to a CPU power increase..
                      "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

Working...
                      X