Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just ordered the sonnet upgrade!!

My single 400 G4 processor has been a workhorse, but I need a push with my new audio and synth-intensive project.

Dollars to donuts, the 1GHZ upgrade for my G4 seemed like the most bang for the buck. I cant wait to have the new L2 and L3 cache. Most audio functions on bench tests looked like I could expect about TWICE the speed. That's a big increase.

Anyone have advice on installation? I hear the apple heat sync is a little tough to remove and replace.

Rimmer- thanks for the report from your upgrade my friend! It pushed me to buy (:

I'll let everyone know how it goes.
    G5 Dual 1.8, Logic 7, Metric Halo 2882, Mackie Control, Tannoy Reveals, UAD-1.

I LOOK FOREWARD TO HEARING HOW IT GOES...
    I PLAN ON DOING THE SAME EXACT UPGRADE TO MY G4 450.
    THIS IS MY LAST DAY ON OJ BITCHES!

Comment

Awesome. I will let you know. People like you and I should see quite an increase from what I read.

Comment

Originally posted by kellyvsgray
        Awesome. I will let you know. People like you and I should see quite an increase from what I read.

I did the G4/400 to OWC Extreme 1.2gigger and it's made a decent difference to the horsepower whilst using Logic audio. I was reticent to go with an upgrade card rather than a newer mac but I feel now that it was very much worth it.

If anything. It was worth it just for OSX and all the other applications I use regularly (as well as a couple of games.. ) .. Enjoy!!
        "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

Congrats - I did the Sonnet 800 upgrade over a year ago and it has been great.

I found the heat sink to be a non issue - you just have to be careful with the clips.

Good luck!
          Justin

G5/Logic Pro/MOTU1224

ES2/Nord Rack 2/Pro-53/PPG Wave/JX-10/Wavestation SR/JV-1080/01Wfd/TG33/Reaktor Session/CS-80V

Hear the tunes! http://www.theorangealternative.com

Comment

Originally posted by jsgarr

I found the heat sink to be a non issue - you just have to be careful with the clips.

Good luck!

Yeah, it was actually a pretty easy upgrade. Just take your time and dont drink a dozen expressos first.

Comment

Originally posted by multitrack mind

Yeah, it was actually a pretty easy upgrade. Just take your time and dont drink a dozen expressos first.

or a dozen tequilas.

...just had to cover the bases here.
              Heritage H535 Classic, Ibanez AF105N, ASAT Classic, MIM Telecaster
              Yamaha G100-115 -w- Weber alnico Chicago 15
              Valvetrain Tweed Champ -w- Weber 12A125
              Barber Direct Drive, Keeley Java Boost, Boss digi Delay
              Logic 6 on an old Powermac
              Battery, Pro-52, ES1, EXSP24, EVD6, Crystal, Pluggo
              Tannoy Reveals, AT3035, Prosonus pre

Comment

Originally posted by Boogs

or a dozen tequilas.

...just had to cover the bases here.

Thought you were a whisky man..
                "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Rimmer

Thought you were a whisky man..

PRECISELY why i'm warning our friend off of the cactus juice!

12 single-malts are never a problem when doing technical work.
                  Heritage H535 Classic, Ibanez AF105N, ASAT Classic, MIM Telecaster
                  Yamaha G100-115 -w- Weber alnico Chicago 15
                  Valvetrain Tweed Champ -w- Weber 12A125
                  Barber Direct Drive, Keeley Java Boost, Boss digi Delay
                  Logic 6 on an old Powermac
                  Battery, Pro-52, ES1, EXSP24, EVD6, Crystal, Pluggo
                  Tannoy Reveals, AT3035, Prosonus pre

Comment

Hi Guys,

actually, after a tall guiness, and some very delicate work removing the heat sync clips, I realized that I had ordered the wrong processor upgrade. Jeez! Why the hell did I order the AGP version? I have a PCI GRAPHICS g4 powermac!!!

arrrgh.

Really stupid.

Well, the local dealer and Sonnet were both very nice about it after I admitted my stupid mistake, and I had to cough up some more dough for the "Zif" version of the upgrade.

Now I just need to figure out how to boot in 9.2 without a disc so I can update the firmware when the thing comes in. I'll see if the local mac dealer can let me borrow one in the store I guess.

The moral of the story is not to drink when I ORDER the damn thing.

I will post when I get the Sonnet Zif upgrade installed.

Comment

Hi Guys,

actually, after a tall guiness, and some very delicate work removing the heat sync clips, I realized that I had ordered the wrong processor upgrade. Jeez! Why the hell did I order the AGP version? I have a PCI GRAPHICS g4 powermac!!!

arrrgh.

Really stupid.

Well, the local dealer and Sonnet were both very nice about it after I admitted my stupid mistake, and I had to cough up some more dough for the "Zif" version of the upgrade.

Now I just need to figure out how to boot in 9.2 without a disc so I can update the firmware when the thing comes in. I'll see if the local mac dealer can let me borrow one in the store I guess.

The moral of the story is not to drink when I ORDER the damn thing.

I will post when I get the Sonnet Zif upgrade installed.

Awww...

You can create a boot disk with programs like Toast. Never had much success myself myself though..

If all else fails, then I am sure the local MacOs shop will charge you for a copy of the G4's install disk. If I had the G4 PCI I would send it to you myself.

I'm sure there is someone here that can send you a solution..

Comment

Yeah hopefully.. ha

Rims, Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I asked the guy to check with his manager to see if I can just boot the thing in the store when it finally comes in so I can update the firmware. Ive spent enough money there! Not to mention this $250 purchase just became a $400 one.

Comment

Originally posted by Rimmer

I'm sure there is someone here that can send you a solution..

Possibly. I have a CD of the Retail G4 OS9.2.2 . I know it works because I tested it on my own machine,and because it's the Retail version ( as opposed to a machine-specific version) it should install on any G4.

It's about 630 MB in it's present form; stuffed( .sit) it would probably drop to 450-500 MB or so. If you had a website that could handle an upload...

Though you could probably buy the thing from Other World Computing for about $50 or less. Might be less hassle.

I also have a PDF that explains how to make a Boot OS9 CD if that would be of any use. This has also been tested and used.

PM if interested.

Comment

Yeah hopefully.. ha

Rims, Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I asked the guy to check with his manager to see if I can just boot the thing in the store when it finally comes in so I can update the firmware. Ive spent enough money there! Not to mention this $250 purchase just became a $400 one.

DO YOU STILL HAVE THE OTHER UPGRADE CHIP? OR DID YOU RETURN IT?
                            THIS IS MY LAST DAY ON OJ BITCHES!

Comment

Originally posted by multitrack mind

Tell me you didn't really just type out "expresso"...?

Comment

Working...
                              X