Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.25 to 1.8 or 2.5??

I'm using a dual 1.25 G4 10.2.8 wiith 1.25 Gb ram, running DP 4.12. I use it mostly for virtual instruments (usually about 50 midi tracks), very little audio. I record audio mostly on a Roland VS2480 and sync them with an R-bus card. Well, now my wife covets my G4 - and I figure that frees me to buy a new G5. So - how much faster (and quieter...the G4 sounds like a jet sometimes, and it gets a little sluggish with that many VI tracks) would a G5 dual 1.8, 10.3 with, say, 2 Gb ram be? And how much faster than that would a 2.5 be - would it be overkill (it's about a grand difference in price, although I like the idea of liquid cooling on the 2.5)?

The HD size is not a prob because I use seperate internal and firewire drives. And the ram difference doesn't matter because I will increase it regardless.

Also, I was reading that the G5s have an optical S/P DIF port. Would that work in DP or Bias Peak to run tracks back and forth. That would be helpful.

Thanks Guys!

Always buy more computer than you need. 2.5GHz may be overkill now, but you'll be glad of the extra horsepower in a year or two.

Comment

Hmmmm.......good point. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Qengho
        Always buy more computer than you need. 2.5GHz may be overkill now, but you'll be glad of the extra horsepower in a year or two.

I'd recommend balancing performance : price.

the computer, no matter what speed it is will rapidly depreciate. If you don't NEED that extra horsepower, perhaps that extra grand will serve you better now - or a year or two later. make sure to balance your studio budget - speakers, amps, racks, cables, mics, controllers, synths, etc.

At least if you save that money, you'll gain interest and you know it will be worth at least the same a year or two from now.

A friend of mine has the dual 2.5ghz. it is super over-kill. The dual 1.8ghz is the best bargain in terms of performance : price. I have yet to max it out in any of my recordings.

I haven't used it's S/PDIF but it is accessible from your output selection within your OS X system preferences. it would be easy to use this to handle digital audio transfer.

I usually buy a computer every 18 months. For the first time.. I think I'm going to stop. For once, I have a machine that can keep up with my tasks (graphics, audio, video).
        Waldorf Q, RS7000, A4000, PCR-300

Comment

A friend of mine has the dual 2.5ghz. it is super over-kill. The dual 1.8ghz is the best bargain in terms of performance : price. I have yet to max it out in any of my recordings.

That's good to know - thanks. I'm sure even the dual 1.8 would smoke my G4. And come to think of it.......I could use a new pre-amp.

Comment

Working...
          X