X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac/Midi/Audio questions from a noob.

Cheers. I usually slum it in Guitar Jam, but I'm considering jumping into Macs and I wonder if you kind folks might give me some pointers?

I'm the music guy at my church. What I need is a portable that will allow me to play midi sequences and some audio at church and/or other gigs. Recording-wise, I have a Korg D1600 that's pretty portable. I figure I'd mostly use the Mac for final editing after tracking on the Korg, but I'd like to at least be able to do quality stereo field recordings on the Mac.

I'd also like to be able to play soft synths in the same live settings with a midi controller, if that's feasible.

So, I'm looking at Powerbook G4's. Where should the money go? If I spend more to boost RAM to 1 gig, can I save by getting a 1.33 ghz processor instead of 1.5? Is a single larger SO-DIMM $100 better than 2 smaller ones?

I'm prepared to spend enough to get what I want, but I wanna avoid just going whole hog and spending $$ for uneeded features.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">-----------------<br />
    <br />
    <font size="-3"> <i>Originally Posted by Jimmy James: </i>Zippers are like SAT tests. They're geared more for white people and don't reflect black culture, sensibility, complicated hand shakes and Good Times reruns.</font><br />
    <br />
    <font size="-3"> <i>Originally Posted by StringJunky: </i>The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with Maalox, Tums, and The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion.</font></div>

For what you've described above, an iBook would probably suit you fine.

Depending on what softsynths you plan to use (and how many at once), the iBook will probably be fast enough.

You can use the money you save to get a decent MIDI controller and audio/MIDI interface.

Forever,

Kim.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=361618&amp;perpage= 20&amp;pagenumber=1" target="_blank">The Composition Thread</a> is sticky!<br />
    <font size="1"> There is no heavier burden than a great potential.<i>- Unknown source</i></font></div>

Comment

Much obliged. I hadn't even considered the iBook.

Anyone know if an iBook would handle the MAudio 410 or the Digidesign Mbox?
      <br />
      <font size="-3"> <i>Originally Posted by Jimmy James: </i>Zippers are like SAT tests. They're geared more for white people and don't reflect black culture, sensibility, complicated hand shakes and Good Times reruns.</font><br />
      <br />
      <font size="-3"> <i>Originally Posted by StringJunky: </i>The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with Maalox, Tums, and The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion.</font></div>

Comment

Originally posted by TheMan
        Anyone know if an iBook would handle the MAudio 410 or the Digidesign Mbox?

An iBook should handle them fine.

Forever,

Kim.
        <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=361618&amp;perpage= 20&amp;pagenumber=1" target="_blank">The Composition Thread</a> is sticky!<br />
        <font size="1"> There is no heavier burden than a great potential.<i>- Unknown source</i></font></div>

Comment

ohh yea. if you can stand the smallish screen / resolution then a 12" ibook with maxed out ram (!!!!) would be a sweet lil machine for some midi sequences and a couple of softsynths. -- as well as final audio mixes.

what ill you be using as your DAW? if you can get an edu discount (actually i dont think apple does any verification if youre a student or not ) then you can get logic express 7 for $150 --- VERY nice price for what you get.

Comment

Originally posted by flukewurm
            ohh yea. if you can stand the smallish screen / resolution then a 12" ibook with maxed out ram (!!!!) would be a sweet lil machine for some midi sequences and a couple of softsynths. -- as well as final audio mixes.

what ill you be using as your DAW? if you can get an edu discount (actually i dont think apple does any verification if youre a student or not ) then you can get logic express 7 for $150 --- VERY nice price for what you get.

Thanks for the tip. I've barely started researching software. An acquaintance had good things to say about Nuendo, as opposed to some form of Pro Tools, but I'm guessing both of those are far more than I need. I'll definitely look into Logic.
            <br />
            <br />

Comment

Originally posted by TheMan
              Thanks for the tip. I've barely started researching software. An acquaintance had good things to say about Nuendo, as opposed to some form of Pro Tools, but I'm guessing both of those are far more than I need. I'll definitely look into Logic.

If you're going Mac, I recommend Logic. It's heavily optimised to take full advantage of the hardware.

Forever,

Kim.

Comment

Working...
              X