Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a new iBook. Help?

Hello,

I'm getting a new iBook for recording. After I've added necessary things like bluetooth-module and extra battery, I can only order a total of 512mb ram for it to not exceed my budget.

My current computer has 640mb, so this feels a little scary. My question is: what aspects of recording require lots of RAM? I know that recording tracks is mostly hd-intensive. Does softsynths and stuff require much ram?

Is it wise for me to just get this little RAM, or should I break all limits and get 768mb even though I cannot afford it. (this would mean I have to cut on other things. Most probably software, or a not-so-good audio-card..)

thanks in advance for your thoughtful, in-depth questions..
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Praise God!</div>

Are you buying the RAM from Apple? It's really, really expensive that way. I always get the minimum RAM configuration and add third-party memory from a reputable supplier.

Comment

Originally posted by Qengho
      Are you buying the RAM from Apple? It's really, really expensive that way. I always get the minimum RAM configuration and add third-party memory from a reputable supplier.

Yeah, I know. Only problem is I've heard you need some "special" ram, so just getting any DDR266 SDRAM won't do. I know I can buy the ram you need from Crucial and other places, but with postage to Norway, tax and everything it won't be much cheaper than at Apple. (I guess I could save about $50 on 512MB, much less on 256MB)

Comment

Originally posted by Explorer
        with postage to Norway, tax and everything it won't be much cheaper than at Apple.

Bummer. Well, to answer your original question, get as much RAM as you can. 512 is barely adequate, as long as you're not trying to run too many apps at once. I assume you'll be running the recording software by itself when you're working with audio.

Comment

Originally posted by Qengho

Bummer. Well, to answer your original question, get as much RAM as you can. 512 is barely adequate, as long as you're not trying to run too many apps at once. I assume you'll be running the recording software by itself when you're working with audio.

I was afraid you'd say that.. Yeah, I'll run recording software alone. I guess I won't use many plug-ins at once, but I don't want to limit myself by my choice of computer now.. just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by Explorer
            Only problem is I've heard you need some "special" ram, so just getting any DDR266 SDRAM won't do.

Wrong, my friend. Apple's computers all use standard RAM.

Hell, I even put the wrong RAM in my iBook (333 instead of 266) and it works great!

Forever,

Kim.
            <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=361618&amp;perpage= 20&amp;pagenumber=1" target="_blank">The Composition Thread</a> is sticky!<br />
            <font size="1"> There is no heavier burden than a great potential.<i>- Unknown source</i></font></div>

Comment

Working...
            X