Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching For A New DAW

I have tried two DAW's for my mac powerbook g4 800._ I have tried
    digital performer & Cubase sl._ Neither one of these works very well on my powerbook.

I would like owners of pro tool le, and logic 6/7 systems, who use powerbooks to report in on
    performance._ I need a solution soon.

Pro tools seems the way to go._ I do not want to buy a new computer._ If protools will not
    do what I want, Then a Roland multitracker is the way.

Here is what I expect
    16-24 tracks
    dynamics on every channel
    3-6 send effects
    24bit/48khz
    4 band parmetric eq
    2-3 soft synth/sampler

my rig=
    powerbook 800
    640 mb ram
    record to external fw drive

thank you very much
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Peace &amp; Love, Lord Toranaga.</div>

If you don't mind recording one or two tracks at a time, MBox is a great all in one solution for what you want to do.

Forever,

Kim.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=361618&amp;perpage= 20&amp;pagenumber=1" target="_blank">The Composition Thread</a> is sticky!<br />
    <font size="1"> There is no heavier burden than a great potential.<i>- Unknown source</i></font></div>

Comment

i guess the first question is how many tracks you need to record at a time. If it's 16-24 at once, then I don't think LE is the way to go. If you can do 2 of them at a time, mBox seems nice.

If can do away with 8 at a time, Digi002 seems like a very solid solution, even though it is a little overpriced imo.
      <div class="signaturecontainer">Praise God!</div>

Comment

Logic is the most cpu friendly app, no problem with sessions of 32-48 tracks on a 1Ghz powerbook with firewire drive.

Most of the the songs are all virtual synths, if cpu approaches 60% I will freeze a few tracks.

G-Dub
        www.studiog-fx.com
        15 inch Quad-core i7, Macbook Pro,
        OSX 10.8.2, LPX, Logic 9.1.8, Apollo Duo

Comment

I will be rcording 8--10 tracks at one time. I am not interested in m-box.

Comment

I used Digital Performer on a G4 TiBook 800, it ran very well.

I had 512mb of RAM and used it with a Lacie external 7200rpm Firewire drive. For an audio card I use an M-Audio 410 and had low-latency and pop-free recording with it.

MIDI also ran very well with that set-up. The only thing that did not run well was that I couldn't run a ton of high-quality effects and softsynths, but that is not the problem of the DAW, rather it is mostly a limitation of the processor.

The only other thing that might run better is Logic.
            <div class="signaturecontainer">Waldorf Q, RS7000, A4000, PCR-300</div>

Comment

Music123 sells Digidesign Digi002 Rack for $1200. I think it records a maximum 8 tracks at a time, plus another 8 with ADAT.

ProTools LE has a limit on 32 tracks, which should be enough according to your needs.

The "freeze"-feature in Logic should be good for your 800MHz processor, so this is another route to evaluate. There's no special features with ProTools LE making it more processor-friendly than other systems. You'll have to get a real ProTools system for things to be done in hardware and not software.
              <div class="signaturecontainer">Praise God!</div>

Comment

I have came up with a solution.

I had a quicksilver in a local consignment shop. I called the owner and retriev my quicksilver. I went to OWC website and ordered sonnet dual 133 upgrade, a conbo drive, and an extra512 meg RAM.
                I also ordered a tascam fw1884. for

I am going to stick with DP4.5.

New set up is
                Dual 1.3 g4 1.5 gb RAM
                tascam fw 1884
                mpc 4000
                powerbook 800 used as sound module
                2*technics 1200mk2
                vestax pmc275
                EMU emax II

I will have some tune up on the web soon.

Thank you much for all the help.

Comment

sounds like a very respectable setup.

i would like to know how the dual upgrade does, and the tascam fW.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer">G5 Dual 1.8, Logic 7, Metric Halo 2882, Mackie Control, Tannoy Reveals, UAD-1. </div>

Comment

Working...
                  X