Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Searching For A New DAW

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching For A New DAW

I have tried two DAW's for my mac powerbook g4 800._ I have tried
    digital performer & Cubase sl._ Neither one of these works very well on my powerbook.

I would like owners of pro tool le, and logic 6/7 systems, who use powerbooks to report in on
    performance._ I need a solution soon.

Pro tools seems the way to go._ I do not want to buy a new computer._ If protools will not
    do what I want, Then a Roland multitracker is the way.

Here is what I expect
    16-24 tracks
    dynamics on every channel
    3-6 send effects
    24bit/48khz
    4 band parmetric eq
    2-3 soft synth/sampler

my rig=
    powerbook 800
    640 mb ram
    record to external fw drive

thank you very much
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Peace &amp; Love, Lord Toranaga.</div>

If you don't mind recording one or two tracks at a time, MBox is a great all in one solution for what you want to do.

Forever,

Kim.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=361618&amp;perpage= 20&amp;pagenumber=1" target="_blank">The Composition Thread</a> is sticky!<br />
    <font size="1"> There is no heavier burden than a great potential.<i>- Unknown source</i></font></div>

Comment

i guess the first question is how many tracks you need to record at a time. If it's 16-24 at once, then I don't think LE is the way to go. If you can do 2 of them at a time, mBox seems nice.

If can do away with 8 at a time, Digi002 seems like a very solid solution, even though it is a little overpriced imo.
      <div class="signaturecontainer">Praise God!</div>

Comment

Logic is the most cpu friendly app, no problem with sessions of 32-48 tracks on a 1Ghz powerbook with firewire drive.

Most of the the songs are all virtual synths, if cpu approaches 60% I will freeze a few tracks.

G-Dub
        www.studiog-fx.com
        15 inch Quad-core i7, Macbook Pro,
        OSX 10.8.2, LPX, Logic 9.1.8, Apollo Duo

Comment

I will be rcording 8--10 tracks at one time. I am not interested in m-box.

Comment

I used Digital Performer on a G4 TiBook 800, it ran very well.

I had 512mb of RAM and used it with a Lacie external 7200rpm Firewire drive. For an audio card I use an M-Audio 410 and had low-latency and pop-free recording with it.

MIDI also ran very well with that set-up. The only thing that did not run well was that I couldn't run a ton of high-quality effects and softsynths, but that is not the problem of the DAW, rather it is mostly a limitation of the processor.

The only other thing that might run better is Logic.
            <div class="signaturecontainer">Waldorf Q, RS7000, A4000, PCR-300</div>

Comment

Music123 sells Digidesign Digi002 Rack for $1200. I think it records a maximum 8 tracks at a time, plus another 8 with ADAT.

ProTools LE has a limit on 32 tracks, which should be enough according to your needs.

The "freeze"-feature in Logic should be good for your 800MHz processor, so this is another route to evaluate. There's no special features with ProTools LE making it more processor-friendly than other systems. You'll have to get a real ProTools system for things to be done in hardware and not software.
              <div class="signaturecontainer">Praise God!</div>

Comment

I have came up with a solution.

I had a quicksilver in a local consignment shop. I called the owner and retriev my quicksilver. I went to OWC website and ordered sonnet dual 133 upgrade, a conbo drive, and an extra512 meg RAM.
                I also ordered a tascam fw1884. for

I am going to stick with DP4.5.

New set up is
                Dual 1.3 g4 1.5 gb RAM
                tascam fw 1884
                mpc 4000
                powerbook 800 used as sound module
                2*technics 1200mk2
                vestax pmc275
                EMU emax II

I will have some tune up on the web soon.

Thank you much for all the help.

Comment

sounds like a very respectable setup.

i would like to know how the dual upgrade does, and the tascam fW.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer">G5 Dual 1.8, Logic 7, Metric Halo 2882, Mackie Control, Tannoy Reveals, UAD-1. </div>

Comment

Working...
                  X