Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G5 noise and compatability?

Alright bought the G4 instead of the G5 because I thought I`d get a better deal $ wise.I didn`t know or research enough about the g4`s noise problem.I don`t know how I missed it.The sales person on the phone told me when I asked about the noise level that they had some problems in the past but were resolved and now he can barely tell the girl`s G4 at the desk next to him is on.
    Anyway,it isn`t an option for me even though I could store it in the cubby behind my desk.I need the least noise I can get from the machine.Is the G5 really 3 times quieter than the G4?And how quet is that?Quiet enough to record subtle classical guitar without any interference?I can still store it in the cubby but don`t want to.
    Is the G5 compatible with Dp4,Logic6,THE MBOX,firewire 410 and the radium keyboard I was planning on using.Are there any disadvantages of the G5 I should know about before sending my G4 back(today)?

Thanks
    Jay
    p.s. What`s this rev b somebody mentioned they were waiting to come out before they got a G5?I want to stay with a mac as the center of my workstation but if a pc is quieter?Anybody heard of the Carrilon turnkey systems optomized for recording and quiet towers?
    1.25Ghz Single G4|1Gb SDRAM|OS10.3.1|Logic Pro 6.4.1|Firewire 410|Radium 61|Behringer Truths|

Yes, the G5 is compatable with your list of hard/software.

Yes, the G5 is quiet as a mouse. If you cover it with a blanket while you're recording (or place a pillow in front of it) you should be able to record acoustic guitar with zero noise (assuming the mic's facing away from the computer).

Comment

The G5 is quiet because all of the internal fans are controlled by hardware level monitoring. Their speed is modulated by monitoring the internal temperature. Also, the Aluminum case with the "Airflow" design helps a great deal.

A G5 is not completely silent, like an iBook, but audacity works is probably right about the blanket. However, it may become more noisy with the blanket because you are preventing air flow wich may cause the fans to kick into a higher gear.
      android

Comment

Originally posted by lipids
        The G5 is quiet because all of the internal fans are controlled by hardware level monitoring. Their speed is modulated by monitoring the internal temperature. Also, the Aluminum case with the "Airflow" design helps a great deal.

A G5 is not completely silent, like an iBook, but audacity works is probably right about the blanket. However, it may become more noisy with the blanket because you are preventing air flow wich may cause the fans to kick into a higher gear.

hey I have been hearing reports of g5 with loud noise. It seems like another g4noise.com brew ha ha is brewing up

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@132.8bsKaAg5jKY.4@.599a487d
        Dual 867 g4, 1 GB Ram, Panther , Motu 896, novation supernova 2, MOTIF RACK Tuned Refrence 8 Event monitors. running logic 6 on OSX.

Comment

Originally posted by elegal

hey I have been hearing reports of g5 with loud noise. It seems like another g4noise.com brew ha ha is brewing up

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@132.8bsKaAg5jKY.4@.599a487d

Looks like a faulty power supply issue. Better than a design fault, huh?
          "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

My dual G5 sits next to a B&W G3 (I neve heard of people complaining about its noise). The G5 is considerably quieter than the G3.

I can make the fans speed up a little by doing something like copying a 12GB folder of files from 1 place on the HD to another but even then it is way quieter than the G3.

My homebrew PIII is the loudest with it's "tornado" cooling system.

The G5's are quiet!

Comment

We've had a few G5s come through the shop, but none for noise related problems. The G5s generally run very silently, until the fan monitoring is turned off. The fan monitoring/control is done by the operating system, so when booting from diagnostic CDs, the fan monitoring is disabled... and then the jokes start.

"Better clear that bench before it takes off,"

or something.

- Green

Comment

we bought two single proc G5 and both are noisy - the first one we took back and the retailer said it was withing specs but it makes a low pitch ossilating hum which is irritating - it it intermittent and it goes away if you lean the computer on its side??? we nicknamed this one the leaning tower of misa

the second is a different sound but is certainly not quiet - i am yet to decide what to do about this

so when in the store check the computer in a quiet room if you can as the sound varies from unit to unit

Comment

I used a G3 iMac for voice overs in the same room and it was very quiet. It did not have a CD burner onboard. If you have a G4, see if you can get a Zalman ZM-F1 fan for it. One of my guitar students got it for my Pentium III H-P which sounded like a Hoover vacuum cleaner. The Zalman, which costs under $10, is a two speed fan which runs at two speeds- 1700 RPM in Silent mode, 20 dB +/- 10& and 3000 RPM in Normal mode- 34 dB +/- 10 %. It made an enormous difference!

Comment

Working...
                  X