Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK this is a rip off!!!!!

Collapse



X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OK this is a rip off!!!!!

    Logic OSX 5.4 requires 10.2 to run. First they charge $130 bucks for an OS that fixes their public beta, then they force you to buy it by porting the OSX version only to it. IF you can't see this there is no help for you. Not even M$ has ever tried to pull this ****************. They plan on getting there money back on the Emagic deal NOW. Talk about corporate greed!!!!!!

  • #2
    It's fair enough to point that out. I suppose some people might want to consider Cubase or Digital Performer instead of Logic.

    By the way, whatever became of the lemon Powerbook you got? Your posts on the matter are long on rhetoric and short on specifics. But I guess you'd rather whine and poop in your diaper about it than solve the problem, eh?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by K-Chuck
      It's fair enough to point that out. I suppose some people might want to consider Cubase or Digital Performer instead of Logic.

      By the way, whatever became of the lemon Powerbook you got? Your posts on the matter are long on rhetoric and short on specifics. But I guess you'd rather whine and poop in your diaper about it than solve the problem, eh?


      It's not a lemon, it's useless. It works great for the **************** the "switched" people do, just not for what I do. I am a poweruser. I need to spit out massive amounts of music in very short amounts of time while running other programs as well. Macs are for simpletons and people who are afraid of touching the inside of a computer. The problems I have with my Mac are problems that are well documented on the web, such as the Oxford 911 problem and crashes when attempting to network with Windows networks. These are flaws of the beta OS that Apple put out. Now they are charging $130 bucks for a fix to that beta. When M$ released 98 their beta fix, SE, was a free download or $20 bucks for the CD, then all versions were hcanged to SE. Can you people quit kissing Jobs ass long enough to see the truth? If you really love Macs you will call Jobs bluff and tell Apple to stop charging for beta fixes.

      Comment


      • #4
        duck king ... you are a troll... you hang out in the mac forum, and talk about how ****************ty macs are... go back to p.c. and leave us alone... or even better... spend your time doing something constructive, like making or recording music, i have read enough of your whining, anti-mac diatribe...
        http://www.myspace.com/patshepard

        Comment


        • #5
          For anyone who actually uses Macs - you call yourself a Poweruser and couldn't navigate your way around the OS to save your life - 10.2 was a MAJOR upgrade. Not quite the equivalent of Win2k to WinXP, but a sizeable enough jump to make a big difference.

          CoreAudio being one of the main things implemented in 10.2, it wasn't possible to use (with any decency) audio apps under 10.1.

          However, I am running Logic, Entourage, Explorer, and StickyBrain all at the same time under 10.2 and loving life.

          Your lemon Mac is one thing. Your diatribes are another. Do us all a favor and go buy a peecee and WinXP and shut yer yap.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Duck King
            I need to spit out massive amounts of music in very short amounts of time while running other programs as well.


            With a description like that, it seems that what you need is a toilet, not a computer.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 3DMC
              For anyone who actually uses Macs - you call yourself a Poweruser and couldn't navigate your way around the OS to save your life - 10.2 was a MAJOR upgrade. Not quite the equivalent of Win2k to WinXP, but a sizeable enough jump to make a big difference.

              CoreAudio being one of the main things implemented in 10.2, it wasn't possible to use (with any decency) audio apps under 10.1.

              However, I am running Logic, Entourage, Explorer, and StickyBrain all at the same time under 10.2 and loving life.

              Your lemon Mac is one thing. Your diatribes are another. Do us all a favor and go buy a peecee and WinXP and shut yer yap.


              Amen

              Comment


              • #8
                I believe I stated that my Mac isn't a lemon. I have several Peecees running XP that run flawlessly. I have $3200 that says I'm in "the club". This forum has an ignore feature. Which part of this do you losers not understand?

                Comment


                • #9
                  For God's sake....

                  You know what...I have been a Mac user since 1987. Do you know how many times I have BOUGHT a new OS from Apple? Twice.

                  Once when I went from 7.6 to 8.6....and once from 9.2 to 10.2.

                  The other upgrades came when I purchased new Macs or were free from Apple.

                  If you purchased OSX prior to 10.2 then you obviously DIDN'T intend on using it for music. Core Audio wasn't implemented and virtually no audio software existed for the OS at that point.

                  Any "power user" would know this. In fact, if you truly were a "power user" you should have seriously considered a Logic / Pro Tools setup on OS 9...as this would be the most compatible with the majority of commercial facilities worldwide.

                  And as far as Jaguar being beta...well I just don't agree. I have been running Logic X and Reason 2 on 10.2 since they were released and have not had a single crash of the OS or any app.


                  Now let's just get one thing straight:

                  If you are using a computer (ANY COMPUTER) for music production or recording, then you have resigned yourself to a continual cycle of fees. There is no point at which the spending is "over". Upgrades, peripherals, software add-ons, plugins and just simple maintenance (backup) all cost additional money.
                  This is not hardware.
                  It's not like buying a hardware box and then you're done. If that's what you want, then get a RADAR or a 2" machine and be done with it.

                  Having this understanding allows one to make a cost-benefit analysis. If your tools are worth the cost, then you have nothing to bitch about. If not...you need to rethink your workflow, your tools, or maybe get into another line of work. For me, the additional (initial) cost of Macintosh has ALWAYS been worth it. Upgrades and software are just a given, as long as they help me get work done.

                  DK, it sounds like another platform would be a better fit for you. I am sure you can recoup a pretty good portion of your expense on the Powerbook by putting it up for sale (brand recognition and resale value are two of Apple's strongpoints).....and you should be able to deduct the residual loss from your taxes.

                  I offer this suggestion to you so that:

                  a) You can hopefully get into a system that better suits your needs....and
                  b) Productive Mac users (and potential users with questions) can be rid of your presence and the accompanying bull**************** in the forum

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Duck King
                    Logic OSX 5.4 requires 10.2 to run. First they charge $130 bucks for an OS that fixes their public beta, then they force you to buy it by porting the OSX version only to it. IF you can't see this there is no help for you. Not even M$ has ever tried to pull this ****************. They plan on getting there money back on the Emagic deal NOW. Talk about corporate greed!!!!!!


                    MS does **************** like that every day. We use Word at work, and MS recently announced major security problems with MS Word files. Guess what, they released fix, but only for Office 2000 and Office XP.

                    10.2 is not an update to a beta, it is a major upgrade. Don't be fooled by the numbering system. Plus, they don't charge $300 for an OS like MS. And it doesn't take an hour to install it.

                    Not everyone uses Logic OSX 5.4.

                    Get over yourself. You obviously know nothing about Macs.

                    Read this article about the great M$ corporation if you love it so much.

                    http://www.macobserver.com/article/2002/10/14.14.shtml
                    My Crap
                    Late 90s MIM Arctic White Strat w/ Mighty Mite HSS
                    '95 Squier Strat w/ MIM Strat guts
                    2007 Squier Telecaster Special w/ MIA pickups
                    Late 60s Yamaha FG-180 acoustic
                    Mid 60s homemade job my parents bought for me when I was 13
                    Peavey Bandit 112 Transtube
                    Digitech RP50 effects pedal
                    Fostex MR-8 Digital Recorder

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Duck King
                      These are flaws of the beta OS that Apple put out. Now they are charging $130 bucks for a fix to that beta. When M$ released 98 their beta fix, SE, was a free download or $20 bucks for the CD, then all versions were hcanged to SE.


                      you keep using the word 'beta'. the beta ended when Mac OS X 10.0 came on march 24 of 2001. the upgrade to OS X 10.1 was free, or $20 to get it shipped to you on CD. The upgrade (not update) to 10.2 is more like going from Win98 to WinME than 98 to 98SE, as you suggest. IIRC, WinME was NOT a free upgrade from Win98. i just looked on amazon, and it looks like the upgrade was about $100. except it took microsoft 2 years to get that upgrade out (looking at the version numbers. '98' and 'millenium' sounds like 2 years difference to me), while it took apple only a year and a half to get there


                      now, i dont know you're entire problem, but it sounds to me like the mac you bought did not do what you expected to. if you made you're decision to buy it based on advertisements, and it does not work as advertised, there are things you can do about it. if you bought it based on word of mouth, maybe you just made a bad decision. if you really don't like it, i'm sure you can sell it for a tidy sum, and buy a comparable windows based system (though you mentioned you already have a few, maybe you could upgrade those one?) i'm a newbie (both in these forums, and to pro audio in general) but it seems to me that if you dont want to listen to others' advice, and you don't want to help people with their problems, and instead want to complain about the bad purchase you made, and want to convince everyone else to stay away from apple products, then maybe you should avoid posting in this forum altogether.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        duck king,
                        the 10.2 upgrade was important for software like logic because it contains an updated core audio as well as the first release of audio units. this is a new feature with 10.2, so it's not like EMagic/Apple made 10.2 a requirement for no reason - it's actually a very good reason. maybe you're just having fun with the mac faithful, i don't know. my ride into macdom hasn't been without it's bumps either, so i can sypathize to a degree. PCs are much much better for audio than they were 3 years ago, and arguably a better value. personally, i think OS X is real close to living up to it's potential now. the audio units stuff, coremidi, coreaudio, etc, will need another few months to mature.

                        cspace

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Duck King
                          This forum has an ignore feature. Which part of this do you losers not understand?


                          You must be using the ignore feature on everyone here, because you're not responding constructively. Unless, of course, you meant that we should ignore you, in which case you're clearly a troll. Only a troll would defend his posts by telling us we're losers not to ignore him.

                          Anyway, the first point of contention, the "well-documented" Oxford 911 problem, is one I have never read about, and apparently never experienced. Are you having problems with the Firewire bus in your Powerbook? Try being specific, as I alluded to previously.

                          The second point, about crashing when attempting to join a Windows network, is also something I haven't experienced because I haven't tried. Mac OS 9.x and earlier made no claims to natively join Windows networks, but OS X.2's "Rendezvous" networking clearly does (haven't tried it myself). As for 10.0--10.1.x, I don't recall Apple making claims about this feature being implemented, but I could be wrong.

                          In the interest of making one more effort to save Duck King from the troll bin, anyone who is familiar with two these issues is welcome to respond.

                          Oddly, Duck King stresses that his computer is not a lemon. As alpaca2500 points out, it seems that Duck King simply made a foolish purchase, and blames Apple and all of us for his poor judgment. How immature.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by K-Chuck


                            You must be using the ignore feature on everyone here, because you're not responding constructively. Unless, of course, you meant that we should ignore you, in which case you're clearly a troll. Only a troll would defend his posts by telling us we're losers not to ignore him.

                            Anyway, the first point of contention, the "well-documented" Oxford 911 problem, is one I have never read about, and apparently never experienced. Are you having problems with the Firewire bus in your Powerbook? Try being specific, as I alluded to previously.

                            The second point, about crashing when attempting to join a Windows network, is also something I haven't experienced because I haven't tried. Mac OS 9.x and earlier made no claims to natively join Windows networks, but OS X.2's "Rendezvous" networking clearly does (haven't tried it myself). As for 10.0--10.1.x, I don't recall Apple making claims about this feature being implemented, but I could be wrong.

                            In the interest of making one more effort to save Duck King from the troll bin, anyone who is familiar with two these issues is welcome to respond.

                            Oddly, Duck King stresses that his computer is not a lemon. As alpaca2500 points out, it seems that Duck King simply made a foolish purchase, and blames Apple and all of us for his poor judgment. How immature.


                            Now how in the world could it be "poor judgement " to buy the best computer on the planet?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              "It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere."
                              -Voltaire

                              Comment









                              Working...
                              X