No announcement yet.

Ableton Live 1.5 OS X

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ableton Live 1.5 OS X

Does anyone use this? I hear its good. The demo looks unimpressive, without a manual i don't know where to begin. anyone with one please mail me so i can read up. i just read the reason manual, and its great. judging books by covers? nah.
    rory

I believe the first two chapters of the Live manual are freely downloadable from the Ableton website. that should give you more to go off of. I haven't really used reason much but I do own Live. I haven't tried Live under osx and I'm just a novice but Live and Reason do seem like two different beasts. Actually from what little I've read it seems the two make nice partners using rewire.

The one clear difference in my mind is that Live allows you to record and loop audio on the fly whereas reason doesn't have that kind of ability. The rest of Live's functionality might have loose equivalents in Reason... but IMO the ergonomics of Live let you interact with loops in a more fluid unencumbered way. Reason does have all those modules though, so if your software needs require non-loop based stuff that may be the ticket...

good luck,
    scotty

Comment

I just tried the demo.

After getting some help from this forum and reading the manual (available on www.ableton.com) I was able to start playing around with it.

I loved it! I couldn't stop jamming. I especially liked that you can play around in real time with the parameters of the effects. I even recorded some vocals just using the integrated mic in my iBook.

I checked the price and it seems to be around 250USD. Does anyone know if there is a (cheaper) light version? I couldn't find one.

Also, do you know if can Live be used to record audio? I mean 4 or 5 tracks of guitars, vocals, etc., and not just samples?

Thanx for the help,
      leyoculta

Comment

Originally posted by leyoculta
        I just tried the demo.

After getting some help from this forum and reading the manual (available on www.ableton.com) I was able to start playing around with it.

I loved it! I couldn't stop jamming. I especially liked that you can play around in real time with the parameters of the effects. I even recorded some vocals just using the integrated mic in my iBook.

I checked the price and it seems to be around 250USD. Does anyone know if there is a (cheaper) light version? I couldn't find one.

Also, do you know if can Live be used to record audio? I mean 4 or 5 tracks of guitars, vocals, etc., and not just samples?

Thanx for the help,
        leyoculta

I saw a demo of Live at a Mac roadshow some months ago. The had a bands worth of pre recorded tracks and a live performer (lovely female singer ) was recorded to her own track live.. I am not a great fan of the interface but it is undoubtedly an impressive program..

Rimmer
        "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

I own it, it's awesome. Certainly great for loop based electronica, also really useful for quick song composition. Record a chord progression, loop 12 times, record the change, loop that etc etc

The interface is incredibly simple and intuitive.

Mac performance however, is nothing to write home about. It's not altivec-enabled for one thing, which is pretty inexcusable these days.

They are working pretty hard on an update ... www.ableton.com the forums are very good, and the developers (it's a small company) very active on it.

Comment

Working...
          X