Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midi lyric editor needed

I source quite a lot of midi vocal files,e.g. opera arias, usually from scanned pdfs, mostly with no readable lyrics. I like to make midi files with accurate lyrics, so that I can make fakebook-style lead sheets, or use them as karaoke-style displays with e.g. Vanbasco. Often, I can get complete lyrics in text form from websites, but I haven't got any kit that will enable me easily to paste whole lines of text into a musical score window, and then space and hyphenate it to fit the notes. (Melody Assistant will do it, but the editing is very fiddly, and the midi export is rather odd.) I use Windows 7. I can't afford posh kit. Does anyone have any ideas?

I use VanBasco a lot for what you have described. I just drop in a heap of track markers using my sequencer, one for every sung line, then copy and paste the lyrics into each marker. I think any sequencer will let you do it. My sequencer does not display scores, but the "pianola-roll" style display of every sequencer out there is pretty easy to navigate.

I use an old sequencer called MasterTracksPro when I do this kind of editing. I have ProTools and MOTU Performer too, but that would be like using a pile-driver to crack open peanuts.
    Darren "Mac" McDougall
    Taking your work seriously is essential. Taking yourself seriously is disastrous. -- Margot Fonteyn

Watch the video on my MIDI Line-Lump that transforms 2-finger keyboard playing into seriously good work.
    *** WARNING *** Do not operate the Epoptic Circuits BTH1 inside a naked flame or next to a sulfuric acid throwing machine.

Comment

I don't get this. Afaics MasterTracksPro doesn't have any lyric editing facilities at all (searching its manual for "lyrics" shows up nothing). So I'm not clear what you are suggesting

Comment

It's not specifically for editing lyrics, it is just one of the uses of markers. MasterTracksPro's marker editor is under the goodies menu. Markers are first dropped into place in either the track editor or the step editor. I suggest using the step editor because you can see the melody and have better control of the timing of when VanBasco will show the line of lyrics.

I can't attach a mid file here so I will send it in a private message.
        EDIT: Maybe I could have attached it if I changed its suffix from 'mid' to 'txt'. I had to make that change in order to attach it to the private message.
        Last edited by Mmmmqac; 07-05-2014, 12:47 AM.
        Darren "Mac" McDougall
        Taking your work seriously is essential. Taking yourself seriously is disastrous. -- Margot Fonteyn

Watch the video on my MIDI Line-Lump that transforms 2-finger keyboard playing into seriously good work.
        *** WARNING *** Do not operate the Epoptic Circuits BTH1 inside a naked flame or next to a sulfuric acid throwing machine.

Comment

Musescore.org

Free, Windows or Mac. Does lyrics.
          Tim O'Brien

Comment

Thanks Tim. Musescore does lyrics nicely, but it doesn't seem to export them in midi-file format - although it will read them from imported midi files. Maybe there's a workaround - export in another format, then convert to midi using something else? I'll need to do some exploring.

Comment

@Dontango
              Did the example MIDI file i sent to you not work in VanBasco as you hoped?
              Darren "Mac" McDougall

Comment

Working...
              X