Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Audio interfaces - USB 3.0 available yet?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio interfaces - USB 3.0 available yet?

Has anyone seen an audio interface that utilizes USB 3.0 technology?  All those that I have seen utilize USB 2.0, which is significantly slower than USB 3.0.  I called M-Audio to find out if they made one, and was told by Tech Support that M-Audio only manufactured USB 2.0 interfaces, and also that he had not seen a USB 3.0 interface among their competitors. He also stated that firewire is on the way out, and that its performance gain over USB 2.0 was not signficant. 

Wikipedia states that USB 3.0 is faster than firewire, but that firewire is faster than USB 2.0.  That should indicates that a audio interface based on USB 3.0 would have better performance than firewire and USB 2.0.  On the other hand, it may be that USB 2.0 is fast enough that the speed increase of USB 3.0 would not provide any further benefit.  Can anyone provide further input? 

I am asking this because I want to replace my Tascom USB-122 with an interface that works with my laptop, which has both a USB 2.0 and a USB 3.0 port. 

Wikipedia states that USB 3.0 is faster than firewire, but that firewire is faster than USB 2.0.

The speed of electricity stays the same.  usb3 would allow higher bandwith capacities, that is, more simultaneous channels (usb2 without special drivers craps out at 12-16 channels.)  Because usb sends packets and has some built-in overhead instead of continuous data streams, in the real world it is actually slower/less capable than firewire.  Firewire can exceed the capability of mechanical hard drives to send/receive data and usb cannot do that. Firewire also chains multiple devices off of one port, up to 67 on one chain.

The bottom line is that if you can get by with less than 16 simultaneous channels you don't need usb3

Right now the RME Madiface is the only usb3 interface on the market.  And it's expensive.

A quick summation:

usb1.1 - 2 channels in/out

usb2 - up to 16 or so simultaneous channels

usb3 - I read once they really expected usb3 to crap out at 75 or so channels.  The RME box does 64.

firewire400 - 100 or so channels

firewire800 - 200 or so simultaneous channels.

Thunderbolt - has 16x the bandwidth of firewire. Also backward compatible with firewire using a $30 adapter (I'm running a firewire Glyph drive on my thunderbolt port.)

<div class="signaturecontainer">Tim O'Brien</div>

Comment

Working...
    X