X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic MIDI keyboard and iMac

I have a new iMac running OSX 10.9. I have a Tascam US144 interface. I have managed to get this interface to work in Garageband when using electric guitar.  

I have an old Yamaha PSR-140 MIDI capable synth. I have connected the PSR-140 to the interface. I see the "MIDI In" light on the interface flashing. When I play a few notes on the keyboard the light goes solid while I am playing. The signal seems to be arriving at the interface.

However I cannot get the signal to the computer. I installed a program called "MIDI Monitor" to see what was being transmitted to the computer. Not sure if I am using it correctly but it seems to show nothing. When I use garage band and create a piano track, the keyboard doesn't do anything.

There is now an app on my computer called "Audio MIDI Setup". Not sure how that was installed, I didn't install it (maybe it was always there, never seen it on my desktop before). Anyway, in this app I go to "Window > Show MIDI Window" and I see icons for "IAC Driver", "Network" and "US-144". When I click the little down arrow located under the "US-144" icon, the "MIDI out" light on the US144 interface flashes.

I double click "US-144" and it shows "US-144 Properties". Under "Ports" it shows "MIDI" and 1 connector for MIDI in and  MIDI out.

I am at a loss as to why my iMac is not receiving MIDI signals from my keyboard. Maybe it is and I am doing something else wrong?

<div class="signaturecontainer">See you in The Green Room.<br>Explorer with MHD Walter pups<br>R7<br>'60 CS Strat<br>Mesa 3ch DR + 4x12 Recto<br>Fender Hot Rod DeViIle III 2 x 12</div>

I got to the stage shown below and it still won't work. MIDI monitor still shows nothing when I test to see if signals are getting to the computer with this setup in place. However MIDI Monitor does show the keyboard I attached to my interface within "Audio MIDI setup" in "MIDI Sources". Garageband receives nothing either. I did borrow a UM ONE Mk II MIDI to USB adaptor and that worked. However I can't see why it won't work with my interface and MIDI cables. 

Screen Shot 2013-12-24 at 4.31.51 pm.png

Attached Files
    <div class="signaturecontainer">See you in The Green Room.<br>Explorer with MHD Walter pups<br>R7<br>'60 CS Strat<br>Mesa 3ch DR + 4x12 Recto<br>Fender Hot Rod DeViIle III 2 x 12</div>

Comment

• enuenu
      enuenu commented
      Editing a comment

I just tried it on a Windows laptop. It works fine.

Working...
X