Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

3 HDs: Where to place OS, Software, Samples and Audio?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 HDs: Where to place OS, Software, Samples and Audio?

Setup:
    It's in my signature. basically 3 different HDs(from older,slower,smaller to bigger,newer,faster).
    Uses:
    I use my DAW to record jazz/funk/rock sometimes I like to play with a lot of VSTs on top,
    Bust mostly it's just several tracks of audio, mostly guitars and such with Superior Drummer and some Keyboard or bass VST.
    Questions:
    1) The basic question is: on which drive should I place my OS, Software(plugins) Samples. Audio & Projects etc...
    2) I think that most of the heavy use is porbebly VST(I might be wrong though) and my questions is how does the RAM and HD work? 'cause I know VSTs are loaded to the RAM, so maybe having the samples on a fast drive will just shorten Loading time and not make "Working Time" smoother and I should use the faster HD for audio, but does the audio load to the vst?

Thanks in advance.

(new) PC:<br>CPU: i5 3470<br>PSU: Dunno Yet<br>M-Board: Gigabyte H77<br>RAM: 2X4GB DDR 3 1600<br>Graphics: Intel Graphics HD 2500<br>Hard Drives: Western Digital: 1TB Black(WD1002FAEX), 500GB Green(WD5000AACS), 160GB(WD1600ADFD)<br>OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit<br><br>Audio Hardware:<br>External Audio Interface: PreSonus FireBox<br>Amplifier: InterM PA-2000a<br>Mics: Shure SM57 &amp; KSM27

Best setup for any DAW:

OS, apps and plugins on boot drive

Sample libraries on separate drive

Audio projects and tracks on third separate drive.

All drives should be 7200rpm

'green' drives generally not reccomended as they will spin down to save power, causing a delay as they spin up again.

If it was me I'd use the 160gb for os, apps and plugs, the 500gb as a Projects/misc drive and the 1tb for sample libraries.  But that's just me.

<div class="signaturecontainer">Tim O'Brien</div>

Comment

Working...
    X