Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best USB mini keys controller on the market?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best USB mini keys controller on the market?

Who makes the best USB mini keyboard controller on the market? Pretty much all of them can be had for under $100. What has the best feel and features?

I already use an M-Audio Axiom 61 (1st Gen) for studio and live use...but might want a mini controller for "on the go" situations.

Or should I just wait until after the NAMM show?
    Elson TrinidadSinger, Songwriter, Keyboardist, BassistElson and the Soul BarkadaWeb: www.elsongs.comMySpace: www.myspace.com/elsongsFacebook: Facebook PageTwitter: twitter.com/elsongs

Depends...I've used the Akai and the new Korg nanoSERIES 2 controllers. The Korgs have almost no travel on the switches, not dissimilar from a touch keyboard. The Akai keys actually go up and down a bit, and have a somewhat springy feel.

The Korg keyboard seems like it might hold up better because it's basically pushbuttons, but the feel on the Akai is a little more "keyboard-like." I found I had to get used to the Korg feel more than I did the Akai. However, if I had to choose one to throw into a laptop bag without a case, it would be the Korg.

One thing they have in common is I was surprised by the predictability of the velocity response. I thought it would vary all over the place but it seemed pretty consistent from key to key, and consistent with how hard you hit the keys.
    There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

Comment

Click here for my review of the Korg nanoSERIES 2.
      There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

Comment

Working...
      X