Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Which Ableton Live to buy?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Ableton Live to buy?

After feeling like I was beating my head against a wall trying to do something creative with Reaper and Cubase for a couple of years I decided to download the Ableton Live 8 free trial. A few hours later I still couldn't get the smile off my face and I achieved more in those hours than in the previous two years using the other DAWs mentioned. I want to buy it.

I'm running the trial on a 2 GHz Core Duo notebook running 32 bit Vista that I share with the family. I plan on buying my own notebook in about 6 -> 9 months. Haven't decided on Mac or PC yet but either way it will run a 64 bit OS.

If I buy 32 bit Live 8 now for use on my current 32 bit Vista machine, I will be buying something that will not make the most of 64 bit technology when I get my new machine. It seems logical to wait for a 64 bit version of Live 8, unless there will be some sort of upgrade path from 32 bit to 64 bit Live 8 possible without forking out a heap of extra $. Would this be the case?

Another question is, if a 64 bit version of Live 8 came out would they also include a 32 bit version I could load onto my current 32 bit Vista machine? I want to consider this scenario in case a 64 bit version of Live 8 comes out before I can afford a new notebook.

Last question. If I bought 32 bit Live 8 now, would I get access to a download of a Mac version in the future if I were to make the switch to Apple? You can have it installed on two machines simultaneously I see, can this be one on Mac and one on PC?

I know I want it. Any advice appreciated as I don't want to make an expensive mistake.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">See you in The Green Room.<br>Explorer with MHD Walter pups<br>R7<br>'60 CS Strat<br>Mesa 3ch DR + 4x12 Recto<br>Fender Hot Rod DeViIle III 2 x 12</div>

Well, you're asking questions that really only someone from Live could answer...but I think it's pretty safe to say that if they come out with a 64-bit version, they still better have something that can run on 32-bit machines, or they're going to be ignoring a huge part of the market.

I agree that Live is a great program, I use it for live performance running on a 64-bit Vista laptop as a 32-bit program...no problems at all. Very reliable.
    There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

Comment

Thanks. Might just buy 32 bit version and assume they will offer an upgrade path to the 64 bit version for existing owners when it comes out. Done a bit more reading and it seems the company is focussing on bug fixes rather than new releases so 64 bit might be a ways off. I want to get into it NOW
      <div class="signaturecontainer">See you in The Green Room.<br>Explorer with MHD Walter pups<br>R7<br>'60 CS Strat<br>Mesa 3ch DR + 4x12 Recto<br>Fender Hot Rod DeViIle III 2 x 12</div>

Comment

I just can't get over how easy I found to make music using Live 8 and I'm yet to read a line from the manual. I'm not sure what functionality the other DAW packages (I used Cubase and Reaper) have that Live 8 doesn't (is it audio editing?), but this newb sure never saw it.

Comment

Working...
        X