No announcement yet.

Which Ableton Live to buy?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Ableton Live to buy?

After feeling like I was beating my head against a wall trying to do something creative with Reaper and Cubase for a couple of years I decided to download the Ableton Live 8 free trial. A few hours later I still couldn't get the smile off my face and I achieved more in those hours than in the previous two years using the other DAWs mentioned. I want to buy it.

I'm running the trial on a 2 GHz Core Duo notebook running 32 bit Vista that I share with the family. I plan on buying my own notebook in about 6 -> 9 months. Haven't decided on Mac or PC yet but either way it will run a 64 bit OS.

If I buy 32 bit Live 8 now for use on my current 32 bit Vista machine, I will be buying something that will not make the most of 64 bit technology when I get my new machine. It seems logical to wait for a 64 bit version of Live 8, unless there will be some sort of upgrade path from 32 bit to 64 bit Live 8 possible without forking out a heap of extra $. Would this be the case?

Another question is, if a 64 bit version of Live 8 came out would they also include a 32 bit version I could load onto my current 32 bit Vista machine? I want to consider this scenario in case a 64 bit version of Live 8 comes out before I can afford a new notebook.

Last question. If I bought 32 bit Live 8 now, would I get access to a download of a Mac version in the future if I were to make the switch to Apple? You can have it installed on two machines simultaneously I see, can this be one on Mac and one on PC?

I know I want it. Any advice appreciated as I don't want to make an expensive mistake.
    '76 Explorer, R7, '60 CS Strat
    JMP100 MV, Mesa DR, Roland JC60
    4 x 12 JCM900, 4x12 Recto

Well, you're asking questions that really only someone from Live could answer...but I think it's pretty safe to say that if they come out with a 64-bit version, they still better have something that can run on 32-bit machines, or they're going to be ignoring a huge part of the market.

I agree that Live is a great program, I use it for live performance running on a 64-bit Vista laptop as a 32-bit program...no problems at all. Very reliable.
    Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Thanks. Might just buy 32 bit version and assume they will offer an upgrade path to the 64 bit version for existing owners when it comes out. Done a bit more reading and it seems the company is focussing on bug fixes rather than new releases so 64 bit might be a ways off. I want to get into it NOW

Comment

I just can't get over how easy I found to make music using Live 8 and I'm yet to read a line from the manual. I'm not sure what functionality the other DAW packages (I used Cubase and Reaper) have that Live 8 doesn't (is it audio editing?), but this newb sure never saw it.

Comment

Working...
        X