X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In need of a low-cost DAW Laptop

Hi there, I'm in need of a low-cost laptop for Music Recording and Editing.

The main problem I'm facing right now is that I can't find a laptop with decent spec WITH a firewire interface(although there are some very pricy ones)

The info I need can be divided to three questions:
    1)In general, what would be a reasonable laptop specs for a DAW laptop?
    2)Is a firewire interface is neccessery?
    3)if yes, is there an easy way to add firewire interface to a laptop without it?
    if no, can I use usb audio interface(if they exist )
    (new) PC:<br>CPU: i5 3470<br>PSU: Dunno Yet<br>M-Board: Gigabyte H77<br>RAM: 2X4GB DDR 3 1600<br>Graphics: Intel Graphics HD 2500<br>Hard Drives: Western Digital: 1TB Black(WD1002FAEX), 500GB Green(WD5000AACS), 160GB(WD1600ADFD)<br>OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit<br><br>Audio Hardware:<br>External Audio Interface: PreSonus FireBox<br>Amplifier: InterM PA-2000a<br>Mics: Shure SM57 &amp; KSM27

Usb2 works fine for under 16 simultaneous channels.

If you get an interface with BOTH usb and firewire (Motu hybrid) you can hook it up either way.

Or you can get a laptop with an Expresscard slot and put a firewire card in it.
    (ALWAYS get TexasInstruments chips. SIIG and Belkin make TI-chip'ed cards.)
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Tim O'Brien</div>

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Is there a well known/trusted site where I can "build" my desired laptop specs from scratch just like I want it?

cause I guess it would be kinda difficult to find laptops with separate Hard Drives which are important for a DAW and obviously a few more parts I'd like to tweak
      (new) PC:<br>CPU: i5 3470<br>PSU: Dunno Yet<br>M-Board: Gigabyte H77<br>RAM: 2X4GB DDR 3 1600<br>Graphics: Intel Graphics HD 2500<br>Hard Drives: Western Digital: 1TB Black(WD1002FAEX), 500GB Green(WD5000AACS), 160GB(WD1600ADFD)<br>OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit<br><br>Audio Hardware:<br>External Audio Interface: PreSonus FireBox<br>Amplifier: InterM PA-2000a<br>Mics: Shure SM57 &amp; KSM27

Comment

You'll have to add the extra drives as externals.

I use a Glyph firewire drive daisy-chained to my Motu828mkII interface for audio data and a usb2 drive for my sample libraries and video editing. The only thing you can really modify in laptops is the installed RAM and you'll want to max that out.

Laptops are, by definition, not user tweakable.
        <div class="signaturecontainer">Tim O'Brien</div>

Comment

This is the opposite of cheap, but could be the ultimate laptop DAW:
          http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/26/razer-blade-hands-on-with-17-inches-of-gaming-greatness/

Just think of what could be done with the LCD trackpad and ten buttons above it!
          <div class="signaturecontainer"><b><font face="Times New Roman"><font size="3">KAWAI<font color="DarkOrange"><font size="5"> K11</font></font></font></font></b><font face="Impact"><font size="1"> DIGITAL SYNTHESIZER</font></font></div>

Comment

Working...
          X