X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With Transition to Modern Times

Hey-

I still have an old Mac G4, Digital Performer 3 and the original Motu 2408 interface (PCI). It has served me well for years, but I want to move to a new MacBook Pro or iMac with a newer interface. I need Audio and Midi and Mastering. There is so much stuff out there, I wanted some opinions. I don't do elaborate recordings, maybe 12-15 tracks max and was thinking that Logic Express would work fine. I remember the original Emagic Logic and thought that it was completely user hostile. Has it changed? Should I just get the new version of DP?

All input much appreciated-

-dj
    Nord Wave
    Nord Stage 2
    Kawai K5000S
    Korg WS-AD
    Korg TR-Rack
    Roland XV-5050
    Emu Procussion
    Presonus SL 16.0.2
    Yamaha KX-5
    Alesis Vortex

I am in your boat too, sort of. Coming off a '04 Powerbook G4 and moving to a new house where I can set up all my boards has prompted me to update the studio. Still undecided about some of the hardware (going iMac i7 though) I did choose to go with DP7 vs. other options. Like you, I had been using DP traditionally and pondered trying something new... however I've heard great things about DP7 and decided to stick with it. Upgrade pricing helped too.

Comment

Thanks for the response. In any case, I will need a new computer and interface. I am also considering ProTools now that it has been decoupled from the Avid Hardware, as that is the studio standard these days. I figure the new computer, interface and software will cost me about $2500. That is about the same I paid for my computer 10 years ago, not counting the Motu hardware and software I bought.
      Nord Wave
      Nord Stage 2
      Kawai K5000S
      Korg WS-AD
      Korg TR-Rack
      Roland XV-5050
      Emu Procussion
      Presonus SL 16.0.2
      Yamaha KX-5
      Alesis Vortex

Comment

Be aware that all features are not supported on 3rd party hardware!!

I have an old version of DP5, that I need to upgrade, but I have adapted my workflow to Logic, Apple has Appleized the app, learning curve is not as steep as it used to be.
        G-Dub
        www.studiog-fx.com
        15 inch Quad-core i7, Macbook Pro,
        OSX 10.8.2, LPX, Logic 9.1.8, Apollo Duo

Comment

Working...
        X