Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Echo AudioFire Pre8 + AudioIFire 4 into Intel Dualcore 2.4ghz w/ 4g ram??

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Echo AudioFire Pre8 + AudioIFire 4 into Intel Dualcore 2.4ghz w/ 4g ram??

So I am planning on running an Echo AudioFire Pre8 daisy chained to a AudioIFire 4 into Intel Dualcore 2.4ghz w/ 4g ram??

I plan on recording 10 - 12 tracks simultaneously @ 44.1khz for drums and scratch tracks....

Think the computer can handle it?? Or perhaps I should put my money into a lesser interface like a Tascam 1800 and more money into a different computer? The Tascam would be simpler, but I have my doubts as to the sound quality and whether or not the USB connection would be a bottleneck and/or latency headache.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/weirdbeast

cpu and ram isnt a bottleneck; as long as you are streaming the data
    to a secondary (non-OS) drive so no housekeeping or program interrupt
    the data flow, that computer will keep up just fine.

Make SURE from Echo that those two units will run under one driver instance.
    The mention stacking 2 Pre8s, but nothing else on the data page.
    Tim O'Brien

Comment

Ya, the tech at Echo said they would run under one driver instance. He said to sync em up via spdf.

Comment

So should I be streaming to a completely seperate HD, or will a different partition work? What about streaming to an external HD connected via eSATA?

Comment

Audio processing streams a LOT of data. Drives need to give you quick, uninterrupted access. Separate dedicated drives help a lot to let you stream more tracks with less problems. The goal is SMOOTH UNINTERRUPTED STREAMING THROUGHPUT of data so you wont get clicks, pops or worse, dropouts. Your sample libraries and audio projects should be on separate drives so they can stream without interruption.

Here's how you want your set up for any daw:
          Boot drive - OS, plugins and apps
          Secondary drive - Audio tracks and misc. data
          Third drive - Sample libraries if you use them

Partitioning will NOT help you and is, in fact, bad. The arm has to stop what its doing on one partition, lift up and go alllllll the way across the disc to the other side, set down to do its job and then go alllllllll the way back again EVERY time the OS or an app needs to do housework. This mechanical movement is GLACIAL in computer terms and will lead to pops, clicks and dropouts in your audio. AVOID PARTITIONING and go to SEPARATE DRIVES

(and to answer your final question, an external drive via esata, usb or firewire are all acceptable; they are secondary drives.)
          Tim O'Brien

Comment

So I am planning on running an Echo AudioFire Pre8 daisy chained to a AudioIFire 4 into Intel Dualcore 2.4ghz w/ 4g ram??

I plan on recording 10 - 12 tracks simultaneously @ 44.1khz for drums and scratch tracks....

Think the computer can handle it?? Or perhaps I should put my money into a lesser interface like a Tascam 1800 and more money into a different computer? The Tascam would be simpler, but I have my doubts as to the sound quality and whether or not the USB connection would be a bottleneck and/or latency headache.

You will be fine, that's plenty of horsepower. Once you get the Audiofire Console in set your 8 on internal clock and the 4 on word. What OS will you be running?
            Remember These Daze

Comment

Working...
            X