Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADA MC-1

hi all,

firstly, allow me to introduce myself as i'm new here. the name's vito, i play guitar in a band called cosmosis and i also work on electronic music on my own. i work on a mac and use garageband and Reason. perhaps i'll post my live setup a bit later, but on to the point for this post...

my friend recently came across an ADA MC-1 midi controller which he gave to me. what can i do with it? can i use it to control parameters within Reason?

many thanks
    -vito

anybody?

Comment

It's a foot controller for MIDI guitar rigs/preamps. It sends MIDI program change messages when you press one of the buttons on it.

Comment

The ADA MC-1 controller you were given was made for an effects controller called and ADA MP-1 which in the 80s was one of the the hottest and most sought after and widely used effects processors. Many still use it today. It actually contained 2 tubes (3 on the calssic model) as well as solid state circuitry to enable it to reproduce any amp or guitar or effect. Once the effects panel is manually programmed you can use it for a song and then if you want to switch to another guitar effect for a different song you can push the arrows on the front panel to make it change the effect (each effect assigned a number). However, if you have a controller (pedal), as you now have, you can change quickly to another digital number via the buttons on the pedal. The MP1 came with 29 preinstalled presets (#1 is MARSHALL sound) and could do tube clean, tube distort, or solid state. The rest you do yourself. Total # of presets available is 128. The Classic model came with more presets and a one more amp circuitry emulator but they both work equally well. I use my own humbuckin preset often. Plug into the MP-1 then into your clean channel and it reduces your need for using the effects on the amp. Your pedal can be kept on a stand and push buttoned or on the floor and stomped. That effects processor is a real screamer.

Comment

hi all,

firstly, allow me to introduce myself as i'm new here. the name's vito, i play guitar in a band called cosmosis and i also work on electronic music on my own. i work on a mac and use garageband and Reason. perhaps i'll post my live setup a bit later, but on to the point for this post...

my friend recently came across an ADA MC-1 midi controller which he gave to me. what can i do with it? can i use it to control parameters within Reason?

many thanks
          -vito

You'll have to acquire a manual to figure out the answer to your question. More than likely the MC-1 transmits MIDI in Omni mode which means on all channels at once. With some effort you could use it to control some stuff in Reason but unless the MC-1 can transmit on just specific channels, like channel 1 maybe, it could change a whole bunch of stuff every time you step on a button. I don't use Reason much or the MIDI features in it so I don't know how it is by default. Your best bet is to get a manual for the MC-1 and plug it in and try it. I would imagine the MC-1 is only gonna allow you to toggle things in Reason on or off at the most but it might make a handy ( or footy? ) foot-based transport controller.

One last thing... The MC-1 might have been designed to use extra pins on the MIDI cable for power ( aka phantom powering ). If there is a jack on the back for an AC adaptor then probably not. If it's a 7 PIN MIDI jack instead of 5 on the MC-1 or there's no poewr jack on the MC-1 it may have non-MIDI standard wiring and not be useable.
          Good Deals: Uberscha11 Jim Hunter gy9505 Effectsiation jmiller475 KjStrat62 orwellguitar johnmac99
          Totally not a fan of ElectricDreams

Currently Rockin:
          '95 MusicMan Silo w/Floyd, Gibson Iommi(B)/Dimarzio Air Norton(N)
          Ibanez S520EX DiMarzio ToneZone (B)/Agile HB(N)
          '06 VHT PittBull 45
          Dunlop 535Q, DOD FX-17, MXR DynaComp, EHX Worm, Ibanez FL-9, EHX SMM/H

Comment

Working...
          X