No announcement yet.

I keep losing my WiFi signal

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I keep losing my WiFi signal

I just set up a wireless network in my house with a router attached to the desktop and a PCMCIA card on the laptop. After anywhere between 5 and 90 minutes of surfing, I lose my internet signal (it's weird, Windows says I have a "low" signal (2/5 bars) but doesn't give me any IP data like it does when I can access the internet.

I then have to restart my computer in order to get internet again.

I moved the router out of the PC armoire onto the top of the unit and that helped a bit (I surfed for about an hour and a half before losing the signal) but sure enough I did finally lose it.

Any suggestions?
    "Be a man, except womem for there individualities and differences. All women can't be totally clean. I respect a puddy that's a little tart." - M-1 Fan

"There's just something succulent about good-smelling pussy. It's just plain satisfying. Good-smelling pussy is akin to good-quality deli sammiches. " - Teabag

Wireless networking is notorious for this sort of behaviour. You don't need to re-start your computer to get the connection back. Try opening a command prompt and typing (presuming you're on an NT-based OS)

ipconfig /renew

This tells your network adaptors to go back to the DHCP server for an IP address. With any luck after a few seconds you should be back online. If the problem really persists, you might need to get a different PCMCIA card. Although there are 'standards' for Wi-Fi (802.11b, 802.11g etc) different manufacturers have different ideas on how to actually implement them, so ideally you want all your wireless network kit to be from the same manufacturer. The exception to this is centrino machines, which seem to work just fine with anything

Comment

I can't stand my WiFi router, it has been just locking up recently and I have to reset it about 3 times a week by unplugging it. The really sad part is that it came with a PCMCIA card and they won't communicate at all. The built in WiFI on my laptop works great, just this damn card doesn't work. The really sad part is that it is Microsoft, has all kinds of issues. As soon as I move I am getting a real router, screw this thing.

Comment

You might try a better omni antenna(s) on your access point / router.

If you have a 2.4GHz wireless router, has a look at http://www.fab-corp.com and click on the "Antennas - Omni" link and look at the replacement 9dBi "Rubber Duck" or the 5dBi desktop blade style antennas further down the omni antennas page.

Comment

Originally posted by noisestudios
          I just set up a wireless network in my house with a router attached to the desktop and a PCMCIA card on the laptop. After anywhere between 5 and 90 minutes of surfing, I lose my internet signal (it's weird, Windows says I have a "low" signal (2/5 bars) but doesn't give me any IP data like it does when I can access the internet.

I then have to restart my computer in order to get internet again.

I moved the router out of the PC armoire onto the top of the unit and that helped a bit (I surfed for about an hour and a half before losing the signal) but sure enough I did finally lose it.

Any suggestions?

If you are using a 2.4Ghz router as well as 2.4Ghz phones, you will run into problems.

You could also be getting interference from a neighbour's WiFi network because you are both on the same channel.

Comment

You shouldn't have to restart Windows in order to reconnect. I can disconnect and reconnect my computer from my network at will.

PCMCIA cards with built in antennas generally don't give the best reception. If your router has an external antennas, you can take a metal can that is 10cm across cut half of the cylindrical part off, so that you just have half a cylinder and the bottom of the can. If you place an external wifi antenna in this modified can, you can quadruple your signal strength and double the range of your network. Your network coverage, will of course, not be circular.

Comment

I'm selling these, they are brand new. If anyone is interested.

Comment

Originally posted by brzilian

If you are using a 2.4Ghz router as well as 2.4Ghz phones, you will run into problems.

Absolutely. We actually got a new phone (5.8GHz) for our office to cure this problem.

Comment

Working...
                X