Yay, new forum !

• Members

Welcome to this new area, a forum dedicated to wind instruments.

Sax, bass clarinet, kazoo, harmonica, french horn, didgeridoo, bassoon, everyone's welcome.

sunburstbasser and I will be your mods for the time being.

I'm mainly a half-decent bass player and singer but also the not-so-well-known worst tenor sax player in the World. Anyway, I love brass sections and wind instruments as a whole.

I hope this area will become a warm and welcoming place to chat and share info about wind instruments.

Feel free to use this thread to introduce yourself. I'm pretty sure HC forums are full of unrecognized wind musicians.

Also, please pass the word to your fellow wind/brass musicians. They're not used to come to HC forums and may enjoy it.

Regarding rules, no breeze, apply the general Terms of Use and everything shall be fine.

Have fun and blow that horn !

I played reeds for years, but have not picked one up in ages. :( But I AM itchin' to get a new sax at some point, and even have spouse approval, so I may be visiting and participating in here from time to time. Fair warning. ;):D

Congrats on the new forum Jazz. :thu:

• Members

I played the tenor sax back in junior high/high school (circa 1985-1989). Marching band and Jazz band. After graduating I played a little alto my first year or so of college.

years gone by...

continued my singing and keyboard playing, and developed or improved my guitar and bass skills...

...in 1995 the sax player of my band let me play his tenor, and that was it for a long time...

...flash forward to 2005. Influenced by such things as friends playing tenor sax and watching streetcorner brass bands play in (pre Katrina) New Orleans, I got inspired and...

...In January 2006, after making a new year's resolution, I bought an alto sax.

Played it, and after a few minutes, it was like picking up where I left off. Cool, huh?

So if you wanna get back into the sax, by all means do it!

• Members

It's a yamaha WX5 wind midi controller I've got mated with a Yama VL70-m tone generator.

The WX senses breath (the harder you blow, the louder the note), embouchure (you can effectively do small pitch bends by tightening/losening your lips) and it has a saxaphone note fingering pattern.

I'm playing tonight, actually.

• Members

I started playing alto sax in the 5th grade and I had a 14 block walk to school. It was pure torture carrying the sax all that way.:(

In the 80's, I was a paratrooper in the Army and one day, I heard that the base band needed musicians so I went and auditioned just for yucks. I made the grade and for the next 3 years, I played tenor sax, guitar and sang in front of thousands of people including foriegn dignitaries, high ranking military and various politicians.

It was great playing with such a talented group of people without all the typical baggage that musicians generally carry.:thu:

My son started alto saxophone lessons last year.

• Members

I've got a pair of trumpets, an ancient Conn student model and a more recent Bach TR200. I've also been borrowing a school Yamaha and even a flugelhorn.

I'm selling the Bach this summer and getting something decent. I'm leaning towards Kanstul right now, maybe Schilke.

Its a good thing we got this forum. Now I don't have to register at another one:thu:

I'll actually be switching from bass to trumpet as my major instrument next year.

• Members

Originally posted by quilt_top

I started playing alto sax in the 5th grade and I had a 14 block walk to school. It was pure torture carrying the sax all that way.
:(

I am totally with you on that one. Although it's not quite as bad as having to carry a sousaphone in the Cherry Blossom parade in DC though. And having an asshole band director who makes the band march the whole entire way back to the buses. :mad:

• Members

Originally posted by AntiStuff

And having an asshole band director who makes the band march the whole entire way back to the buses.
:mad:

Talking about asshole dierctors, my 8th grade band director used to throw his baton at us kids who played the wrong notes or just sounded bad. :mad: He's lucky nobody got their eye taken out with his temper tantrums.

If he did that now? And with my son???? :evil:

Archived