Favorite Horn Bands

• Members

I'm starting a new thread in an effort to get some legs under the WBO forums.

I'm wanting to know your favorite horn band or song. There are so many, but for me, this was the song that got me loving horns in a band.

The Ides of March - "Vehicle"

Originally release in 1970

[video=youtube;sxJFjO4Skgo]

What's your favorite horn band or song?

Please use either a YouTube Link or sound file.

Thanks

D

That's certainly a good one.

My love for horn arrangements goes back a lot further - to the Big Band era. I was exposed to lots of that from my parents and grandparents when I was a little kid. Picking a favorite would be difficult... and I'd be just as likely to pick something later from Tower of Power or Chicago or something as I would the earliest stuff I heard.

• Members

This might be my first post here.

One of my favs would be Chicago, but I also love the Brian Setzer Orchestra.The Squirrel Nut Zippers, and Big Bad Daddy Voodoo, Royal Crown Revue and Cherry Poppin' Daddies.

Nothing like a little swing or retro swing.I toss on the Brian Setzer Christmas album ever year and out it into heavy rotation at my house.

Not a lot of folks played guitar before the electric guitar was invented. It's wasn't loud enough and it wasn't really that popular.

My grandfather used to tell me about how he would hit the clubs back in the day, it was all about the big bands. He drove a Model A Ford too.

He told me a ton of great stories over the years. He even scored a job in the depression. He went into help a guy out for the day, and ended up staying for the next 40 years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

This was one of the first band pieces I heard live and it was right there I realized I was no kind of musician. It sounds normal now pfft, High School bands do it now but back then I thought I was hearing the music of God. lol

[video=youtube;C-B8HXa41QM]

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I love "Vehicle" - the Ides of March did a good tribute to Chicago on that one :D

Among my favorites in the Rock genre:

Chicago (before Terry Kath left the planet)

BS&T

Red Hot Skillet Lickers (Lavay Smith's band)

Chase

Big Bad Voodoo Daddies

Cherry Poppin' Daddies

And for Jazz:

Count Basie

Duke Ellington

Benny Goodman

Stan Kenton

Woody Herman

Thad Jones/Mel Lewis

Insights and incites by Notes

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Edgar Winters White Trash, especially the live Roadwork album just plain smoked it. They spent many years in New Orleans and knew how to combine Jazz, Blues, Gospel and Rock with Horns. Listen to the tracks Still Alive and Well and Back in the USA with Derringer being backed up by a full horn section and it adds pure power to the sound of a rock/blues band.

The wah on the guitar mixes with the horn section on this one

[video=youtube_share;7sXDLK4HIIU]

[video=youtube_share;TyBIfgj2jrY]

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Members

I was about to go "no one mentioned Blood Sweat and Tears? wtf??" then realized that's what "BST" meant. You kids and your acronyms. ;)

I think you guys pretty much covered it. Tempted to toss in something like the GRP All-Star Band, but that's cheating as it was a temp thing. Some might snicker at the KC mention, which would be a stupid thing to do. No they can't compare to great jazz greats and all that obviously, but there was some great, driving horn work in there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Check out this article I wrote this week, and once you've read it, check out the videos. If you are into horns, you're gonna love this.

https://www.harmonycentral.com/articles/dear-musician---musics-universal

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"HarmonyCentral_LeonidFriends_Leader.jpg","data-attachmentid":32298300}[/ATTACH]

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived