Trumpet soloing

• Members

My dance band is expecting me to do a trumpet solo on Dancing In The Streets. Never soloed without having a solo to copy. Having to write this one myself. Any suggestions on where to start? Was thinking of improvising off the melody line, but this is a first for me. (Normally the organist. Might just use my flugelhorn, but need to create the part first.)

• Members
My dance band is expecting me to do a trumpet solo on Dancing In The Streets. Never soloed without having a solo to copy. Having to write this one myself. Any suggestions on where to start? Was thinking of improvising off the melody line' date=' but this is a first for me. [/b'](Normally the organist. Might just use my flugelhorn, but need to create the part first.)

sounds good to me, just give something a whirl.

It it sounds good it is good.

I tried playing a horn once, and could get much more than a nasty tone out of it.

Good luck

• Members
Trumpet was my first instrument and Flugelhorn is played just about exactly the same. (Different character to the tone. I really like it.) I've always gotten a very good tone.

I do like the trumpet, but I just can't play it.

I have some albums at the house like Chet Baker. My dad when I was a kid had some Herb Albert stuff. And who does like a a little Dizzy Gillespie, Miles, Cliff Brown or Lou Armstrong.

When I was a kid my older neighbor played the Trumpet.

Mostly when I listen to jazz stuff if guitar jazz.

• Members

Someone for you to look up. Joe Negri Jazz and classical guitarist in Pittsburgh. (Doesn't tour, but there should be some recordings.) And just an interesting fact. My Mother went to school with Segovia's Step-daughters. (And no, that wasn't in the USA.)

• 10 months later...

Archived