Anyone using a harmonizer with Trumpet?

• Members

I'm in a 6 piece band and am the only brass player. Bandmate wants to do Conga by Miami Sound Machine. Was thinking I could pull this off better with a harmonizer than on keyboard. (I play both.) We have a pianist who would hold down the piano part. What's your experience using a harmonizer with brass and is this just asking too much?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I can't contribute any wisdom about the harmonizer, but I'm glad to know you play trumpet. Do you play it regularly at a gig? I haven't gigged for a long time, so it's hard to keep myself in shape to play. I do go to jams and play, but I'm only good for a few minutes before my lip dies.

• Members

In a previous band I started adding my horn to the other horn that was there. We kept adding more songs where I played trumpet or flugelhorn. In the end, I was playing horn on about 20 songs and keys on everything else. I'm back to starting over on adding horn. I'd do Vehicle, but it looks like I'm the only one who has a chance to actually sing the song in the original key. Changing keys with a horn is a possible disaster. This band does have two keyboard players, so moving some over to horn is a step in the right place.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I recently dusted off my Olds Ambassador because one of my students wants to learn trumpet. The first band I was ever in played some Tijuana Brass tunes so I tried using a few plug-ins with my horn to try to get that mariachi sound.

I think it could work quite well with some prep work.

If it were me, I would have to evaluate the result compared to the added potential for things to go wrong at a gig.

• Members
I play keys trumpet and bass. Changing keys on a bass seems the easiest thing to do. Keyboard not so much. Trumpet would probably be more like keys than like bass. My take.

I keep looking for a capo for my keys and harmonica, but nada.

Archived