Yngwie Malmsteen

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Yeah. It's so low on the totem pole. I had no idea it was even here.

My own kingdom at last.

How you doin 1001? How's the foot tapping? :D

OK Well-the first one is messed up or something. There was underlying music from the show and then studio guitar hot and dry in the right channel. Don't get it.

The second was more what I expected. It's mostly just the theme with Yngwie variations and flourishes. I suppose he has as much right to do so as Rachmaninoff or anyone else.

If he were doing, oh say, the 5th Caprice, I'd want that note for note. No slack on that at all. He can bring the vibrato and what not though.

• Members

Additionally, It would be cool of those that invoke Paganini, or assume the mantle, to take on one of his works of the more pyrotechnical type and nail it. Seriously. Let's have the 5th Caprice at about 180 to the quarter. That's about where Michael Rabin's was. I'm thinking maybe Steve Vai could do it, and that's about it.

That reminds me of this cd I have. Maestro Alex Gregory's Paganini's Last Stand. He's peeing on Steve's grave on the cover, next to Yngwie's.

But I really don't think he could shine their shoes, let alone Paganini's. The noive.

I do lub me some Yngwie though. Particularly partial to the "Evil Eye" vid from when he was young and fluid. He doesn't seem as comfortable now.

• Members

We're at odds over Yngwie. I view him as some alien monstrosity bent on destroying musicianship. In my view, classical violin pieces for shred guitar has got to be the worst choice for transcription there is. The harsh attacks and mechanical delivery are just too bush league to overlook.

• Members
We're at odds over Yngwie. I view him as some alien monstrosity bent on destroying musicianship. In my view, classical violin pieces for shred guitar has got to be the worst choice for transcription there is. The harsh attacks and mechanical delivery are just too bush league to overlook.

I don't know that we're at odds necessarily. I just take him for what he is and what he's about. If I wanted to hear 'musical' I wouldn't turn to Yngwie first, but I can think of worse choices as well. I once saw Eugene Fodor play the Y'saye Ballade in a little over 3 minutes, as an encore. Most people take well over 6 minutes. It was astounding, actually. Musical? Not a word that springs to mind. Oistrach is musical, though, and not so concerned with impressing with his technique. I guess it's an old story in the violin world. There's the flash players, and the deeper ones. It's not hard to tell the difference, and I've always thought there was room for both. It takes all types...:blah:

• Members

You have that professional diplomacy lol. I bet the Fodor bit was ultra articulate and as musically detailed as he could possibly manage. I like the Perlman/entertainer variety of artist but that's only because I'm only casually familiar with the material and only the famous stuff at that. I find that if I do make a connection with a piece and have occasion (pronounced youtube) to sample versions by different artists, that as I become familiar with the music I almost always prefer deeper- at least as deep as I can perceive.

• Members

I've stated clearly that I find Yngwie's Paganini lacking, and what I would require for it to have some merit with me. As for electric guitar shredders taking on classical works-no examples have been posted as far as I'm concerned. Yngwie just pilfered the theme and did his thing all over it. But I like the idea of electric guitar shredders making the attempt, a genuine attempt...understanding going in that the electric guitar is another instrument and while incredibly expressive, is not so nuanced as a fine acoustic violin in the hands of a virtuoso. I suppose I've adapted enough guitar licks to the electric violin- it's just fair game.

Fodor was something to behold then. And he was really tan. I remember thinking where's this guy get off tearing around the violin like that with such a tan. Not fair. My teacher asked him and he said he'd been living in Hawaii. Why Hawaii? -- "Why not?"

Sadly, it was just a few years later he showed up at The Conductor's Institute um...not feelin so good. And that was pretty much all she wrote. sm-indifferent

Archived