violin / fiddle basics?

• Members

Hi,

How do you hold a violin? I use the chin rest but that angles the board diagonally for me. I bought a support rack but the violin finger board keeps angling aslant, like an aeroplane banking to the right. Maybe this is correct but it feels weird?

Advice appreciated ;)

Thanks,

• Members

Try working on your posture, sit or stand up straight, shoulders up, like your mamma told you.

My guess is you're slumping forward causing the fiddle to slide down and to the right.

But if its just the tilt of the fingerboard, I think thats normal and correct. Watch some classical players on YouTube and see how they hold it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm still just getting this down.  Having someone there to show you helps a lot.

Having the shoulder rest helps a lot, and for me is necessary.  To get the basic setting, hold the violin above your head with both arms, then bring it to rest on your shoulder in the proper spot.  Now look to your left.  When done right, your chin should slide into the chin rest and you will be able to hold the instrument with just your chin.  When you get the angle right, your left hand should be comfortably able to finger the strings.

Archived