Harmonica players

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm a keyboard player who plays some harp with my current country/rock band- just on the few songs with harp parts, such as "Train, Train" (Blackfoot), "Put Some Drive In Your Country" (Travis Tritt) and "Last Dance With Mary Jane" (Tom Petty). I also played some harp with a country band in the 90's and managed to learn some Clint Black and Terry McMillan solos (he played on Garth Brooks' "Ain't Goin' Down"). I do better, overall, on the hillbilly stuff. But harp is just a sideline for me. I wouldn't want it to be a full-time thing- even though sometimes I get more compliments on it than my keyboard playing. It catches people's ear.

I still haven't developed what IMO separates the men from the boys of harp playing- a distinctive, killer throat vibrato, like Mark Ford's (Robben's brother) and whoever it was on "Missionary Man". I have a modded bullet mic but don't yet have a dedicated harp amp. That would be mostly unnecessary anyway, because most of the time I go for a cleaner sound and just use a 58 into the PA.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I try to throw a few harp leads into all my gigs. I don't like to overdo it, because a little harp goes a long way.

I especially like adding harmonica to German songs using one of those big full-sounding Hohner models that has two or three notes for every hole. Gives me a sound that is very similar to an accordion.

Archived