X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harmonica players

Does anyone play harp?
    Amps: Pre-Fender SWR California Blonde w/Blonde on Blonde extension Cab bose L-1 Compact Guitars: 1970 Gibson J-50 Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner Breedlove J-20MH Takamine EAN-40C Seagull S6 Ceder top (Beach Guitar)

There were a few around here from time to time before HC 2.0. I take it you play?
    Play more bass.

Comment

I'm a keyboard player who plays some harp with my current country/rock band- just on the few songs with harp parts, such as "Train, Train" (Blackfoot), "Put Some Drive In Your Country" (Travis Tritt) and "Last Dance With Mary Jane" (Tom Petty). I also played some harp with a country band in the 90's and managed to learn some Clint Black and Terry McMillan solos (he played on Garth Brooks' "Ain't Goin' Down"). I do better, overall, on the hillbilly stuff. But harp is just a sideline for me. I wouldn't want it to be a full-time thing- even though sometimes I get more compliments on it than my keyboard playing. It catches people's ear.

I still haven't developed what IMO separates the men from the boys of harp playing- a distinctive, killer throat vibrato, like Mark Ford's (Robben's brother) and whoever it was on "Missionary Man". I have a modded bullet mic but don't yet have a dedicated harp amp. That would be mostly unnecessary anyway, because most of the time I go for a cleaner sound and just use a 58 into the PA.

Comment

i started playing today
        Originally Posted by OverDriven

That is probably the single most ****************ed up thing I've ever seen posted on HCAF. Congrats.

Good deals with: jnepo1

Comment

A bit less than 49 years of harping, usually in a neck rack, but sometimes hand held.

My 1st instrument, from age 7...I started back when a Marine Band was around $4.50!
          God(s) bless the rest of the world(s), too

Comment

I try to throw a few harp leads into all my gigs. I don't like to overdo it, because a little harp goes a long way.

I especially like adding harmonica to German songs using one of those big full-sounding Hohner models that has two or three notes for every hole. Gives me a sound that is very similar to an accordion.
            Michael D. www.mdlmusic.webs.com "I'm tired of rock-and-rolling Let's get married, Honey, let's go bowling" --Martin Mull

Comment

Working...
            X