soprano sax newb?

• Members

thanks sunburstbasser,

yes i've heard some pretty awful stories about the low priced range of new sopranos, they come poorly set up or damaged in transit (damaged in packing?) but no worries if you are a pro player & know how to set these instruments to rights but plenty of worries if you don't - just like a guitar you can end up paying a vast amount just to get it properly set up. will keep an eye on the second-hand shops then!

• Members

You can also get a semi-pro or higher end student model. Be sure to have a woodwind technician look at it before you buy or if buy on-line make sure you can send it back if the woodwind tech doesn't like it.

If you have a good sax teacher, have the teacher play it to be sure it's playable.

Back when I was teaching, one of my students got a cheap soprano sax. She couldn't play a high E at all. I tried it and couldn't get the high E to sound either, and at the time I had been playing sax over 40 years so I don't think it was me.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

• Members

You can also get a semi-pro or higher end student model. Be sure to have a woodwind technician look at it before you buy or if buy on-line make sure you can send it back if the woodwind tech doesn't like it.

If you have a good sax teacher, have the teacher play it to be sure it's playable.

Thanks Notes_Norton, am checking out a tutor now. That would be the move, have a pro give the horn the once over ;)

Are Elkharts cool for students please?

• Members

Sorry, no experience with Elkharts.

What you need is a horn that is free blowing, and has decent intonation. Don't worry about the tone that much as long as it's decent because the tone can be changed quite a bit with a different mouthpiece. If you enjoy it and stay with it a better mouthpiece and even a better horn can come along later.

One more thing about a teacher. Make sure that you pick one that gives you a good dose of fun along with the work. They don't call it playing music for nothing.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

• Members

Sorry, no experience with Elkharts.

What you need is a horn that is free blowing ... if you enjoy it and stay with it a better mouthpiece and even a better horn can come along later.

One more thing about a teacher ... one that gives you a good dose of fun along with the work. They don't call it
playing
music for nothing.

Thanks! :) Will update

Archived