Disinfecting harmonicas

• Members

What's the best way to go about this? I bought a used 7-piece set of Hohner Piedmont ( cheap plastic black harmonicas) just for the nifty case that came with them. I'm thinking I will either disinfect them and use for backup, or more likely, let them be the "sit-in" harps, just in case someone drops by a gig who I KNOW can play and has some stage etiquette (90% of harpists don't). Any hints?

• Members

I have boiled my harmonicas to clean them out, but never tried it with plastic ones. I'm thinking it would probably warp them out of shape so that they'd be unplayable.

And I'd let somebody else use one of my harmonicas about as often as I'd let somebody else use my toothbrush. By that I mean never.

• Moderators

I never posted in this forum before. lol

Maybe you can just dip it in some rubbing alcohol (70%) for a few minutes then take it out to be air-dried.

Unless there's exposed wood parts, then don't use alcohol, it would be too harsh for the wood.

• Moderators

Sorry, not going to waste $$ on rubbing alcohol. Would cheap, rot-gut, rocket-fuel low-grade vodka work?

Sure! As long as there's enough alcohol in it. (more than 50%).

But rubbing alcohol isn't that expensive in the first place. Probably around $2 for half a litre from the local superstore.

Archived