Trombone Buying Advice

• Members

One of those ugly birthdays is approaching and rather than buy a sports car or chase young women, I'm going to buy a trombone. I played for about a year over 40 years ago. I'm a semi pro harmonica player, focusing on blues, rock and jazz vocal back up. I've been playing for about 11 years and am self taught. I don't read music.

I'm looking for suggestions for used trombones. I don't want to spend more than $200. So, if any of you out there can suggest brands and models to look for as well as not to look for, that would be appreciated.

I'm happy to trade for advice on harmonica stuff.

Thanks,

Joel

• Members
http://www.1800usaband.com/htmls/itementryview.asp?itementryid=10435 For under $200 this is the route I'd go. I've been doing business with these folks for years and just recently spent over $4k with them for the school I teach at. I have never had any problems with anything I've purchased from them. I did get a few of these refurbished trombones a few years ago and they're still goin strong under school band program abuse ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

under $200 is kinda slim picking even in the used market.

you might find something in the used yamaha, king, bach, or conn student lines and if the seller is a complete idiot you might find better.

you might also see olds, reynolds and bundy.

main thing to look for is that you dont have to force the tuning slide and that when the hand slide is not in its locked position it slides relatively effortlessly. i mean relatively because for $200 you hand slide will probably have some places where it catches and where the plating is rubbed off. it will also probably make some noise.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm a semi pro harmonica player, focusing on blues, rock and jazz vocal back up. I've been playing for about 11 years and am self taught. I don't read music.

Joel

In other words "I'm middle aged, wear a hawaiian shirt and beret with dockers and play "blooze" with other middle age white yuppies".

Archived