Harmonica Tabs/Sheet music?

• Members

Hi all, I'm posting here for our singer. She's learning the harmonica solo to Middle of the Road and it's a bear apparently plus, we only do 3 songs with the thing.

Any ideas on a good lesson website or even just the tabs? If we add more we'll probably get some actual lessons for her.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Jeff

• Members

Sorry, should have been clearer with more details.

It's the right key and she has most of the solo down. It's the bending of the notes that causing the problems. More knowing how to play the harmonica than how to play the solo I guess. Technique.

I've found a few sites but they either charge or don't get very detailed. I'd rather not spend $40 for one 30 second solo if possible.

There is tab of a sort. They have a chart with the notes and then an in breath and out breath for each note. I'm actually learning the them to The Simpsons I found last night LOL

• Members

Skip the tabs and just learn it by ear. You've only got so many notes on harmonica; they can't be THAT hard to find!

The bending takes a lot of practice to do right or even at all. When I was trying to learn harmonica, I used my throat and changed the shape to bend pitches around. On trumpet I use my tongue to alter the shape of my oral cavity. I don't know how well the second will work on harmonica, but the first seemed to work OK.

Best bet? Find someone who can teach a little harmonica and it'll go a long ways towards making those solos pop out.

• Members

Bending notes on the harmonica is a horrible chore, I'm no amazing harmonica player but, sometimes you'll accidentally bend notes, if she can hear that, then she can try to apply the same physics to when she actually wants to bend notes. Bending notes is a lot more feel, it's like flute embouchure, or learning to ollie on a skateboard, someone can tell you all the proper techniques, but you gotta learn to do it yourself.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Also look up "The Wizard" by Black Sabbath, Ozzy can actually play a bit of harp, not crazy like Jason Ricci or Lee Sankey but good enough to help fill out the song.
:thu:

It's always a kick to look up tabs for that song. It's tabbed out differently on a different key harp every time I see it, and they're ALWAYS wrong. Cracks me up, because you pick up a Bb harp and it's right there! :lol:

Archived