Harmonica Frustration

• Members

I bought a Marine Band harmonica in the key of G and a cheap ass holder about a month ago. I immediately knew I was going to get a new holder because I had to use sooooooo much force to pry the bastard open that it took two hands and two knees. Not knowing this could do any damage, I stuck the poor sucker in there.

After a few days I noticed the ridges that seperate the holes were beginning to protrude just slightly past the metal, the center one sticking out the most and the ends being the least. Then, one of the reeds went out. I decided to buck up and buy a $25 Lee Oskar holder thinking it would change things.

Today I got a new harmonica of the same model. Checked the wood parts to see how they were and the exact same thing was beginning to happen after only 20 minutes of being in this holder. I cant seem to find anything at all on this {censored} anywhere. I have two TOP quality products and neither are functioning correctly, even after exchanging and contrasting.

All I can say is F&$K!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• 9 months later...
  • Members

Sounds like you need to pick up one of the Lee Oskar harps to go along with the holder. Basically, an unsealed wooden comb will expand with moisture(nice word for spit,LOL) then as it drys out it'll contract again. Plastic combs won't do that, they're immune to moisture. You can seal your wooden comb using Butcher's Block oil by Watco that you get at Lowes for $14 bucks a pint. I did that with a couple Hohner Deuce and a Quarter harps that have wooden combs. It's just easier to get a plastic comb harp(Special 20, Lee Oskar, Suzuki HarpMaster, ect) then to mess with a wooden comb IMHO.

Archived