Best Mics for Brass

• Members

There are many variables in your question.

What's the live setting? Club? Concert stage?

What is the group? Big band? Jazz combo? Rock (funk, R&B) band horn section?

Instruments? Trumpets? Sax? Flute?

Three common mics for brass:

Sennheiser 421 sennheiser-421-sm.jpg

Sennheiser 441, especially on saxes:

124807d1244855947-i-need-stage-mic-compa

AKG C414

22993_l.jpg

But the all time, one size fits "most" mic for brass (and a world of other applications) is the Shure SM57. Cheap. Indestructible. Use it on a gig, then take it home and use it to hammer nails in the wall for hanging pictures.

An engineer friend swears by Audix mics for live brass. IIRC, it's the D3 that he recommended for trumpet.

If your horns need to move around on stage, you'll want a clip on mic. I don't have any experience with those.

• Members

But the all time, one size fits "most" mic for brass (and a world of other applications) is the Shure SM57. Cheap. Indestructible. Use it on a gig, then take it home and use it to hammer nails in the wall for hanging pictures.

And the Beta57 does it just that much better! :thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Use the 421 for recording, critical listening in a concert setting and with a "killer"pa?...absolutely! But for the generic bar/lounge/club/wedding gig?...never! JMO

Why not? (I'm serious, I'd like to know)

I've been using one for years. It has outlasted 3 vocal mics that my partner uses (one Sure, and two ATs), and sounds so much better that she now sings through one.

It's so rugged that some studios use it to mic drums, and the occasional inadvertent use of the mic as a percussion device doesn't seem to kill it.

I had been using a Beta 58 for a while and when recording on my old Teac tape machine, the sax sounded stuffy. So I went to my local music store and the owner suggested the 421. He went to the recording studio in the rear and loaned me one. He said to try it on the gig and on the tape machine and if I liked it he would order one for me.

We had a regular Sunday afternoon gig at a yacht basin. We played upstairs in a small lounge with all the windows open. A musician friend of mine came up the stairs and said, "What did you do to your sax, it sounds great! I could hear the difference in the parking lot!"

The next day I had the music store order one for me and I've never had a mic problem since. To me it's the ultimate stage mic for sax.

Insights and incites by Notes

Archived