X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best contemporary trumpet players?

I'm familiar with the classic trumpet players, but I'm looking for some more contemporary music (as in the last 20 years). All I can think of is Rick Braun.

Roy Hargrove
    Ingrid Jensen
    Dave Douglas
    Terence Blanchard
    Alex Sipiagin
    Ryan Kisor
    Marcus Printup
    Sean Jones
    Nicholas Payton
    Christian Scott
    Jeremy Pelt
    Irvin Mayfield
    Chris Botti
    Ambrose Akinmusire (if you haven't heard him, you soon will)
    Avishai Cohen (not to be confused with the outstanding bass player Avishai Cohen...2 different guys)
    Wayne Bergeron
    Wallace Roney
    Brian Lynch
    Adam Rapa
    Terrell Stafford

Comment

For a jazz combo Roy Hargrove is one of the best out there. The newer it is, the better with him. His album Earfood is probably one of about three or four times that bebop-influenced jazz is not just listenable, but actually really cool even to non-jazzers. A definite must-have. Among his older stuff, Nothing Serious is pretty good but not like Earfood.

The Latin Giants of Jazz have had a pretty wide lineup of trumpets, but any of them are excellent. Fantastic latin big band music with some former members of Tito Puente's band. I've heard lots of jazz but those trumpets play better in tune together than nearly anyone! All of them can improvise as well and the music is a lot of fun to listen to.
      <div class="signaturecontainer">Play more bass.<br />
      </div>

Comment

I'm surprised not to see Wynton Marsalis up there already.
        <div class="signaturecontainer">Visit <a href="http://www.trumpetfinder.com" target="_blank">http://www.trumpetfinder.com</a> for the best deals on trumpets and accessories!</div>

Comment

I'm surprised not to see Wynton Marsalis up there already.

Wynton has been recording as a leader for nearly 30 years. Since the OP asked about players from the past 20 years, I just figured knowing Wynton would be a given.

Comment

Working...
          X